Need Help With Sound Shaping..
Mar 15, 2014 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Koukol

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a set-up which includes a Marantz CD player running through a Little Dot III amp pushing HD558 and K601 HPs

I'd like to add something in the chain to customize the sound with each CD recording (take away annoying frequencies and add bass when needed)

I thought I'd try using my Mcintosh Pre-amp with its 3 knob EQ but while I can get desired tones the hissing drives me nuts.

So, I'm wondering if there's something magical that can eliminate the hiss or should I take the Pre-amp out of the mix and put an equalizer in it's place?

If I go by the way of an equalizer is it important I get an Analog EQ ?

I assume this is an analog Equalizer since it has no digital inputs, yes?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000E1PXCK/ref=s9_simh_se_p422_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=11B5NEB2T35AATE6VCXF&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=478281791&pf_rd_i=home%20stereo%20hiss%20removal

Cheers.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 2
The hiss from your preamp could be a grounding or an interference problem. If so, it will occur when you connect the preamp to another device too (power amp - speakers, or headphone amp - headphones).
If you get the hiss only in the headphone out of your preamp it could be something localized to it's headphone amplifier circuit.
It could be it's picking up interference from somewhere.
Or it could be an impedance mismatch between your headphones and the preamp. If the preamp has high gain in the headphone amp and the output impedance is high, hiss can also occur with low impedance headphones. But in this case there should also be other drawbacks in the
sound of the headphones (poor bass control and extension, agressive treble, etc).
You can test this with a high impedance headphone (a 600ohm model would be useful). If the hiss disappears and the sound you're getting is good, you'll have found your problem. Another way is to compare the noise floor between the HD558 and K601, at similar SPL levels. The HD558 are more sensitive and for the same voltage will give more SPL, so take that into account.

You are correct about the EQ you linked, it is analog. But the reviews on Amazon paint it as a rather dodgy EQ. So buyer beware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back