Need help with selecting a high capacity media player
May 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dimmy

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Sorry if there's an active thread regarding this already. I looked through the first page and didn't see anything.

Anyways, my Cowon X7 (160gb) just took a bath thanks to some hyperactive cats and I'm now without the little gem (tried rice and everything, it's just dead sadly.)

So, I'm in the market for something new. Needs to be high capacity (preferabbly more than 160gb) around $300 bucks if at all possible, but I'm willing to entertain more for a perfect solution. I wish I knew how to mod iPods, as I've heard that's the way to go, but I'm really not that great with such things.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw the Archos tablet, but enough people have told me to avoid these that I'm trying my best to listen. I just really need a new solution. Kinda feel naked without my collection as I'm sure most of you can understand. Any insight anyone can offer?

Thanks!

Ryan

Edit: Been looking into this for over 3 hours and am really not getting anywhere. The Cowon x7s now are only 120gb and just won't work. Everywhere I go keeps telling me that modded iPods are the way to go, but you obviously can't buy those anywhere... so I'm really lost.

May 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Can I use a Sanho hyperdrive and download some sort of UI for it or something?

I'm not concerned with it doing ANYTHING but playing music. That's all it needs to do. Play music with good sound quality, and be high storage. I don't care about/want video capability. 

Thank you to anyone who can help me. Just frustrated at this point and really need some guidance from someone more knowledgeable on this subject than I.

May 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Its hard to find anything with over 160GB. Archos have some players with 500GB but they are video focussed with large screens. Multiple microsd cards is one solution. Some players will accept 64GB microSDXC cards formatted to FAT32 so 3 or 4 of these would suffice. Some very high quality players use microsd like the HiFiman HM601 or Colorfly C3. These type of players have short battery life though and are suited to over the ear type of headphones. Modding an iPod 5th gen is another alternative or you could settle with the 80GB model. It has alot going for it in terms of UI, availability and durability and gives reasonable/good performance with headphones and IEMs. Your choice also depends on file type used, IEMs or headphones you own, environment you listen in etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back