Need help with replacing caps on AV-710
Aug 17, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell
Bump... anyone?

I'll do it and post results if you take a picture of the crystals so I can read the writing on them or post up their specs/markings. I can only make out 22.5 on one of them from the pictures in this thread. My case is a royal pain in the ass to open and someone must have easier access than me. My card has all of the mods listed in this thread w/ Nichi Muse KZ on all excep the output where I am running ES (bipolars) bypassed with with some monstrous Solen SM Tin Foil and propylene film caps in some miracle of soldering and lead bending that I would usually not tolerate. I'll probably whip up a little daughterboard the next time I take it out so I don't have such a hideous mess inside my case. Atleast I didn't have any Tantalum fires...

Edit: Just spent some time with the data sheet for the Wolfson DAC and another site lists two crystal freqencies. From the data sheet and what I can read on the picture, X1 is 22.5792 Mhz and X2 is 24.576 Mhz. X2 being the crystal related to the sample rate of the Wolfson chip and X1 probably related to the envy chip or something else. I don't knof if there is much to gain from an increase in crystal precision. Regardless, they are less than 1$ and I will throw one on my next mouser order

Edit again: Someone confirm they are thru hole mount. Looks like they are but I don't want any surprises.

Aug 17, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #32 of 50
Yes, they are thru holes; one reads "22.5F5C", the other "SKC24.576". No leads soldered to the ground plane, so unmounting should be piece of cake.

Good luck.

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #33 of 50
reading thru this (given link by eokboy) makes me itchy to jus get an av710 and flux burn it
smily_headphones1.gif

[WTB] 2nd Hand AV710!!
k1000smile.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
Yes, they are thru holes; one reads "22.5F5C", the other "SKC24.576". No leads soldered to the ground plane, so unmounting should be piece of cake.

Good luck.

It appears they've used different lots of crystals, one of my cards that "might" be of 2005 vintage has "22.5F5K" and "24.5F5G". A Nov. '04 version of AV-710 has "22.5F4G" and "SKC24.576"

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #35 of 50
I have got a spare AV-710 card laying here and the crystals are through hole with 22.5F4G for X1 and SK24.576 for X2. Manufacture date I believe is December of 2004.

What should I do with it?

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedro
I have got a spare AV-710 card laying here and the crystals are through hole with 22.5F4G for X1 and SK24.576 for X2. Manufacture date I believe is December of 2004.

What should I do with it?

Go back to the first page and follow thedoctor's guide
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell
Go back to the first page and follow thedoctor's guide
biggrin.gif

I dont have anything cool enough to use aka no good caps on hand at the moment. Like I said its just an extra card, right now my X-fi suites me fine unless the AV-710 gets modded, I may try that out.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #38 of 50
Would anybody be able to identify some capacitors on my one of my soundcards. They are Yellow and made by ELNA. They done have any markings showing thier series other than they all have 9835 on them and the rest is the value. Are those any good?

Sep 10, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #40 of 50
Well, I finally got around to pulling the av710 out and putting a new xtal on. I used this crystal with this mylar spacer from mouser. It had the best pulse tolerance and stability ratings in the frequency needed. If there is any difference, it may seem a little clearer but I do not have a stock card to test it against and as we all know, audio memory is pretty lousy. I spent a grand total of about 50 cents on this mod as I had lots of other parts to order from mouser anyway. All together I probably have $15-20 in this card + the original price of the card. So for like $50 I have a reasonably good source that sounds as good as the Alien DAC that I also have built for probably around $60 as well. Side by side compared to a lightly modded DAC-AH and a stock Zhaolu V2 I feel that I have about 95+% of either of thier performance with either of my super low budget sources. I am using the optical out of the av710 for these 2 dacs. Each has thier strengths and weaknesses but of all I prefer the sound of the DAC-AH...

Also, while I was in there I replaced both regulators with equivalent TI reg1117 parts as I managed to break the input lead of the 3.3v regulator off
rolleyes.gif
when hooking up the bootstrap last time. I managed to finagle the remains of the lead into connectivity but I wanted to replace it nonetheless.

Sep 10, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #42 of 50
RMAA will not let me run high sample rate and record (no duplex mode) so I cannot really check the channel that is modified. Not to mention, I can't even get it to work regularly. The Audio Deck sound mixer panel shows both sound going out and sound coming in the line in but RMAA shows nothing and tells me that I need to increase the volume in my sound mixer. I've screwed around with it for nearly an hour with no results. Anyone know what the deal is?

May 14, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #43 of 50
Sorry to bump an old thread...but

I been wondering if there were AV710 mods, and I found this great thread!

Can someone make a Digi-Key parts list for this mod? I need to order some CMoy parts soon, and why not toss in the AV710 mod parts
eggosmile.gif

May 16, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #44 of 50
?

May 30, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #45 of 50
I want to perform this mod, so I just replace the caps with same values of the ones circled in Doc's reply?

I counted on my AV-710:
21 x 10uF 10v caps (2.5mm lead spacing?)
3 x 10uF 25v caps (2.5mm lead spacing?)
4 x 220uF 10v caps (3.5mm lead spacing?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back