Need help with purchase of gaming head-fi
Mar 23, 2009 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

huba_99

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I'm new at this site and I don't know much about head-fi, so I was hoping you could give me some advice...

I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones for my new computer. The sound card that came with the PC is onboard and of poor quality, so I'm guessing I also need to buy a new card. Would it be a good idea to buy a x-fi sound card?

The headphones are primarily for gaming; I appreciate a good bass when playing Crysis, CoD etc.

After reading a bit on this forum, I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy the new JVC HA-RX900 - is this correct? Is there any other headphones, within the same price range, that I should consider buying?

Finally, is it necessary to buy an amp when buying such relatively cheap headphones? And do I need to have a certain amount of knowledge to set it up?

Thank you in advance

//huba_99

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 23
This site is very helpful for gaming headphones : Kool Bubba Ice's Base
You may want to read the thread on the xonar essence, especially if you are gaming on Vista. The Creative X-fi is fine in xp but the xonar essence is better in Vista. The xonar also comes with a headphone pre-amp built in.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/xo...k-peak-380717/

I just replaced my creative card for the xonar and I am impressed, granted not so much with games sound but certainly with music audio sound.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 23
No don´t bother with an amp in that price range. Maybe you have seen the HAR 700/900 mod thread? the cheaper 700 is generally preferred. However closed headphones is a send from heaven if you are in a noisy environment. As for gaming headphones my Ultrasone PRO 750 and currently 900 has been amazing. Extremely versatile headphones.

These benefit from an amp but for gaming at least works great without. Crysis Warhead with PRO 900 is quite an experience
wink.gif
Main difference in balance between the PRO 900 is that the 900 definiatly have some bass emphasis. Relative to other headphones not relative to my speaker setup. But that has a stronger treble as well to compensate
smily_headphones1.gif

DT 770 PROs is okay and a bit cheaper but you don´t get the sub woofer quality bass from those or the soundstage, sound quality or the treble.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No don´t bother with an amp in that price range. Maybe you have seen the HAR 700/900 mod thread? the cheaper 700 is generally preferred.

Having both the 700 and 900, I'd say the 900 is better for gaming. It's more open and 3d. The 700 is more direct and punchy, better for hard rock and metal. The 900 works better in "virtual surround" modes also.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 23
I really like my DT770's for gaming. After last weekend, I love them even more.. they're superb at lan. Finally I can hear something (was using a HD555 before :x).

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by huba_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys

I'm new at this site and I don't know much about head-fi, so I was hoping you could give me some advice...

I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones for my new computer. The sound card that came with the PC is onboard and of poor quality, so I'm guessing I also need to buy a new card. Would it be a good idea to buy a x-fi sound card?

The headphones are primarily for gaming; I appreciate a good bass when playing Crysis, CoD etc.

After reading a bit on this forum, I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy the new JVC HA-RX900 - is this correct? Is there any other headphones, within the same price range, that I should consider buying?

Finally, is it necessary to buy an amp when buying such relatively cheap headphones? And do I need to have a certain amount of knowledge to set it up?

Thank you in advance

//huba_99

It's hard to find good, audiophile, quality headphones, with the bass you want for under 60.00..

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 23
For the price go for the JVCs. Get your sound card and stop at that. Everyone has opinions that will be more expensive than what you're asking. I myself bought the Audio Technica A700 and love them. I got them on sale. I will buy other cans like the AD900s but for now I'm happy with what I have.

Keep it cheap and simple. You might end up liking the JVCs with yournew card. If you don't like them, then it won't be such an expensive hit on your wallet.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 23
I use an X-FI card for game processing hooked up to a Beresford TC-7520 with Grado SR80's as my cans, perfect in a quiet environment.

X-FI's CMSS processing is damn good for the money, the Xonar has a bit of an edge with it's Dolby Headphone processing but I personally don't think it is worth the extra £100.00.

For good sound positioning stick with high end music cans and stay away from the gaming products if you can afford it.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 23
Hey guys

Thanks for all your inputs. I think I'm gonna stay with the JVC and a X-fi card for the moment. I sadly cannot afford the DT7700's, seeing that I'm a poor student. As one of you guys said, a product can always be better and more expensive, but I think (and hope) that I'll be satisfied with the JVC. I understand that I won't get a perfect audiophile pair of headphones, but it's my understanding that the JVC is - within the given pricerange - one of the best pair of headsets you can get today... Am I totally wrong?

One last question, if I buy the JVC and the X-fi card, are there any way to maximize the "sound quality"/ajust the bass through example software?

Again, thank you guys...

//huba_99

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 23
very much yes!
the x-fi is a strong sound card- about as strong as a portable amp and will drive the jvc's great. a V shaped equalizer, bass boost about 7 db , cut off 50hz. your headphones will thump and u will be happy!

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tizer2000uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X-FI's CMSS processing is damn good for the money, the Xonar has a bit of an edge with it's Dolby Headphone processing but I personally don't think it is worth the extra £100.00.

Who says Xonar is at a £100 premium over X-Fi? D1 or DX will be fine, especially if you add an amp somewhere down the line. They start off at the same sort of price as an X-Fi Xtreme Music or Xtreme Gamer.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 23
Furthermore I'd like to ask, whether it would be better to forget about head-fi's and instead buy a Logitech z-2300.

Do you guys think that it'd be a better sound experience?

If so, my roommates will just have to adjust themselves....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back