Need help with purchase advice and recommendations for my audio setup
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Robert_

New Head-Fier
This is my first post, and this will be my first decent audio setup.
I am looking for good value options. I don't know my exact budget, but I put the most precedence on getting the best sound out of my headphones.

I currently have:
  • Headphones: Meze 99 Classics
  • Audio Interface: Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD
I would like recommendations for:
  • XLR Condensor Microphone + Stand + Pop filter.
    • For vocals, general Instrument recording, and VoIP, i.e. Discord.
  • Monitors.
    • WIll use for general listening as-well-as audio production, I am not sure whether I should get a subwoofer; I like bass to be 'there' but not overbearing, i.e. I generally focus on the highs and mids when listening.
  • Any improvement I can make in powering the Meze 99 Classics,
    • i.e. an amp, amp/dac, or dac.
    • Note that I dislike the accentuated bass I am getting at the moment, which I have currently EQ'ed out.
    • Also, note that I would like to maintain the real-time monitoring allowed by the Behringer interface I have. I am open to changing out this interface, though I need 3 inputs, three quarter-inch (guitar), and one XLR (condenser microphone).
  • A portable DAC to use with my phone.
  • Deeper pads for the Meze 99 Classics

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 7
I also have the Meze 99 Classics. I have a Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 and don't hear much, if not any difference when i use it, compared to my iPad. They don't really need much power. Also, most people say that larger pads don't sound very good with the Meze 99 Classics. If you have the new larger pads on your Meze 99 Classics and are looking for more controlled bass and a bit more detail, while keeping the same overall sound signature, try to find a pair of either the ATH - MSR7 Pads, or the PSB M4U1 Pads. Haven't tried the msr7 pads, but people do say that it helps, but i have tried the Psb pads and they sound great. Can't answer your other questions but hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 7
I also have the Meze 99 Classics. I have a Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 and don't hear much, if not any difference when i use it, compared to my iPad. They don't really need much power. Also, most people say that larger pads don't sound very good with the Meze 99 Classics. If you have the new larger pads on your Meze 99 Classics and are looking for more controlled bass and a bit more detail, while keeping the same overall sound signature, try to find a pair of either the ATH - MSR7 Pads, or the PSB M4U1 Pads. Haven't tried the msr7 pads, but people do say that it helps, but i have tried the Psb pads and they sound great. Can't answer your other questions but hope this helps.

Thanks, I will definitely check those pads out. I'm not too fussed about the sound signature changing as I feel the accentuated bass Is in part due to the closeness of the driver, which would be slightly altered with deeper pads. I have noticed a change in audio between various phones and laptops, the best sound coming form my interface. The 99Cs still sounded fine on each, but everything but the dedicated DAC in the audio interface seemed slightly harsh to me, as well as the bass only being an issue on the audio interface, I assume due to the lack of attention to bass from onboard dac's.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi Robert_,

As a fellow Meze 99 Classics owner, good deep pads which work really well are the ZMF cowhide, super comfy though with the exchange rate it may be pricey but worth it, not sure if the gst will come into play as both were obtained several years ago but I believe it still is worth it.

It doesn't take much to power the 99 Classics though if you are in music production, any good pro audio shop in your area should have the Focusrite Scarlett series for a good price, they are good value for the money & on my list if I ever upgrade from my Lexicon Alpha.
Focusrite Clarett series might also be an option as well.
Either way, both Focusrite series have phantom power which especially if you're using a condensor, would come in handy though I am curious, which condenser are you planning on using or at least have your eye on? Maybe I can help narrow it down more especially if you give a rough budget.
As a way to improve the capabilities of the 99C, I suggest looking at the Presonus HP4 using the Focusrite Series as the head out source or if you can budget it, the Rupert Neve RNHP is well worth it too for at desk use.
Behringer audio interfaces unfortunately aren't known for their bass response consistency &/or quality.

I will suggest the following mics in no particular order :
Shure SM58 mic are a good place to start or any of the 58 series though they aren't condensors but any KSM or Beta series are & once again depends on your preference & budget.
Rode NT series mics are all good, just depends on your preference & budget.

Konig Meyer stands are good for both monitors & mics, they are also Genelec's approved clones they make themselves & sell for cheaper than their own brand.
Aston Microphones makes good reflection fliters but are pricey in the southern hemisphere.
I suggest either Rode or Shure for pop filters if you're keeping it simple.
Subs tend to be personal preference, either you need them or you don't, I have a dedicated sub as well as built in subs with my monitors though both these are taking a well deserved break at the moment as I have another pair of passive speakers with built in subs as secondaries which are more than adequate for what I need currently.

For main monitors, I suggest these in no particular order :
Genelec (I use the 8010 A as space is limited for me though you can go bigger, I use these as my main set up managed through a monitor controller)
IK Multimedia iLoud, similar & smaller than Genelecs, pair costs less than per Genelec unit (Genelec is still superior but iLouds are good to have on the fly)

For portable use, a good DAP is preferable over a phone though depending on your phone, you may not need a DAP or DAC either. What phone are you using?
Sadly Oppo's HA2 SE isn't around any more, the only alternative I suggest looking at would be Fiio.
Jaben or Addicted to Audio has many portable amps so they may be able to help you though wouldn't exactly hold my breath but I suggest extensive demos regarding what would suit you best.
If you decide on a DAP instead of using your phone, Cowon have good ones for a reasonable price, especially the Plenue D, there is a distributor which you can purchase directly from in NSW called Haldex Direct.
Otherwise, Fiio M7 or Shanling M1 or M0 are good choices.

Feel free to ask me for more help if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi Robert_,

As a fellow Meze 99 Classics owner, good deep pads which work really well are the ZMF cowhide, super comfy though with the exchange rate it may be pricey but worth it, not sure if the gst will come into play as both were obtained several years ago but I believe it still is worth it.

It doesn't take much to power the 99 Classics though if you are in music production, any good pro audio shop in your area should have the Focusrite Scarlett series for a good price, they are good value for the money & on my list if I ever upgrade from my Lexicon Alpha.
Focusrite Clarett series might also be an option as well.
Either way, both Focusrite series have phantom power which especially if you're using a condensor, would come in handy though I am curious, which condenser are you planning on using or at least have your eye on? Maybe I can help narrow it down more especially if you give a rough budget.
As a way to improve the capabilities of the 99C, I suggest looking at the Presonus HP4 using the Focusrite Series as the head out source or if you can budget it, the Rupert Neve RNHP is well worth it too for at desk use.
Behringer audio interfaces unfortunately aren't known for their bass response consistency &/or quality.

I will suggest the following mics in no particular order :
Shure SM58 mic are a good place to start or any of the 58 series though they aren't condensors but any KSM or Beta series are & once again depends on your preference & budget.
Rode NT series mics are all good, just depends on your preference & budget.

Konig Meyer stands are good for both monitors & mics, they are also Genelec's approved clones they make themselves & sell for cheaper than their own brand.
Aston Microphones makes good reflection fliters but are pricey in the southern hemisphere.
I suggest either Rode or Shure for pop filters if you're keeping it simple.
Subs tend to be personal preference, either you need them or you don't, I have a dedicated sub as well as built in subs with my monitors though both these are taking a well deserved break at the moment as I have another pair of passive speakers with built in subs as secondaries which are more than adequate for what I need currently.

For main monitors, I suggest these in no particular order :
Genelec (I use the 8010 A as space is limited for me though you can go bigger, I use these as my main set up managed through a monitor controller)
IK Multimedia iLoud, similar & smaller than Genelecs, pair costs less than per Genelec unit (Genelec is still superior but iLouds are good to have on the fly)

For portable use, a good DAP is preferable over a phone though depending on your phone, you may not need a DAP or DAC either. What phone are you using?
Sadly Oppo's HA2 SE isn't around any more, the only alternative I suggest looking at would be Fiio.
Jaben or Addicted to Audio has many portable amps so they may be able to help you though wouldn't exactly hold my breath but I suggest extensive demos regarding what would suit you best.
If you decide on a DAP instead of using your phone, Cowon have good ones for a reasonable price, especially the Plenue D, there is a distributor which you can purchase directly from in NSW called Haldex Direct.
Otherwise, Fiio M7 or Shanling M1 or M0 are good choices.

Feel free to ask me for more help if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Thank you so much for all the great info, I will take a look at your suggestions when I have the time. As things stand at the moment, I was thinking of getting a BM-800 then upgrade down the line. As for the Fiio, something like the K1 or A1? I have a Samsung Note 3 by the way, which I am considering upgrading from; also, I am getting noticeably better audio form the Behringer interface.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi Robert_,

No problem, as said happy to help.

I would be interested to see how you find the BM 800, been aware about this for a while though not sure if I ever be interested enough to try but you never know, be interested in how you find it.

Fiio has many great amps, K1 & A1 aren't bad but I don't have experience with them beyond a demo for curiosity or their latest, Q5, which is meant to be good though I haven't had a chance yet to demo it fo curiosity than anything else as I'm not in the market for a portable amp.
So can't offer much beyond that.

Note 3 is reasonable though curious again what you consider upgrading to?

Well, hope your interface works out.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi Robert_,

No problem, as said happy to help.

I would be interested to see how you find the BM 800, been aware about this for a while though not sure if I ever be interested enough to try but you never know, be interested in how you find it.

Fiio has many great amps, K1 & A1 aren't bad but I don't have experience with them beyond a demo for curiosity or their latest, Q5, which is meant to be good though I haven't had a chance yet to demo it fo curiosity than anything else as I'm not in the market for a portable amp.
So can't offer much beyond that.

Note 3 is reasonable though curious again what you consider upgrading to?

Well, hope your interface works out.

I bought a kit with the BM800, pop filter, wind filter, shock mount, and stand for around about $40 USD. Also read somewhere the resoldering helps lower the noise floor, so I will probably look into that.

As for upgrading my phone, I'm not sure, but a better camera is probably the main reason for me upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back