Need help with Prototyping Boards (breadboards)
Dec 19, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

macm75

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently building a tube amp with SS power supply. Every amp I've ever built has been all tube with direct tab to tab soldering. I have never used a prototype board and wish to do so with this new power supply. My issue is given all the variety of prototype boards, board materials, and mfg's out there I have no idea where to start. I'm thinking all I need is to be able to solder some caps, diodes, transistors, resistors, etc into the board and solder some hookup wire between components.

If anyway can shed some light on the subject, offer some suggestions on board type and mfg, and maybe add a pic showing their work, I'd be extremely appreciative.

Thanks, Joe

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 3
There's a bunch of ways. It might be interesting to see what's out there, old and new. I mostly know old, but that might be more interesting for you, coming from point-to-point. Anyway, a good overview of techniques and some idea of what's involved will help you make a better choice. Or not.... but it's all fun.

Prototyping Systems Compared
Mounting and Handling of Semiconductor Devices
The Vector Prototyping System
The handyman's guide to homebrew construction practices--From Copper to Manhattan
EWB's Homemade Circuit Boards
RF Prototyping Techniques
HIGH SPEED HARDWARE DESIGN TECHNIQUES -- chapter 7
HARDWARE DESIGN TECHNIQUES -- chapter 8
HARDWARE DESIGN TECHNIQUES--chapter 10
Manhattan Building Techniques
Advanced Manhattan Building
The NJ “Islander” ... an Elegant Pad Construction Technique
Hints and Tips for using Surface Mount Technology (SMT)
Surface Mount Construction Techniques
ARRLWeb: QRP Community: Construction--Kits, Homebrew and Other QRP Projects
Make PCBs at home with magazine paper and your laser printer
Making PCBs at home with Kinsten Presensitesed PCB material
TIPS FOR RELIABLE WIREWRAPPING

and the repair FAQ just in case
Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Audio Equipment and Other Miscellaneous Stuff

Thre's also a few vendors that are good to see some unusual parts that you can use. I'm not recommending the vendors, just posting so you can see parts.
turret boards
smt proto boards
surfboards
more proto boards
foil tape to repair pcb traces, or to roll your own traces anywhere

Unfortunately, I can't find the wainright prototype boards. They might be out of business. They had some of the coolest stuff going for RF design. They were basically printed protoboard without holes. You'd glue their mini printed proto pieces to a plain unetched copper pcboard that acts like a ground plane, and solder parts on to the printed thing, sort of upside down dead bug, but with some printed traces. You could call it high tech manhattan style.

And a few things to round out the post for others.
how to use soldering terminals
how to make a lash splice
a bunch of stuff about pc boards
an ok soldering tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back