Need help with Outlook Express
Sep 9, 2004 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Now, this program is real pain in the a**. Around 2 months ago when my windows had one of its usual crashs (not anymore because I replaced my memory cards) my Outlook stopped working as as well. I haven't bothered do do anything but I really need the programme now. I can do 2 things: 1. get an alternate programme (which one??) or 2. repair Outlook Express

I use Win 2k.
Everyt time I start Outlook I get the msg that it can't load msoe.dll
I tried uninstalling IE 6 and then reinstalling it - didn't work.
I tried uninstalling OE from the Control Panel -> Software -> Windows Components and uninstalling Internet Explorer after that. Then I reinstalled the latest IE but OE still didn't work.
confused.gif

Thanks for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

-Tao

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 12
Since I was afraid of many viruses I usually got with emails and since I read somewhere that Microsoft stopped further development of Outlook Express (hope this wasn't a hoax), I decided to go with Mozilla Thunderbird. It's a very similar program and I so far I didn't noticed any problems. I guess you can try it as well.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 12
If you're security-conscious have a look at The Bat! email client.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 12
What Win2k service pack are you on?
What AV software are you using?

Sep 9, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Redneck
What Win2k service pack are you on?
What AV software are you using?

Service pack 7
What do you mean by AV software?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
Try this.

Or this.

thanks, I'll take a look into it

Permonic, stereth: I installed Thunderbird. Very nice programme but I'll still try getting outlook back on track.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Service Pack 7!?
eek.gif
We're not talking about the same thing....

OK, get to the desktop and right-click on "My Computer", click on the PROPERTIES button and look at the window that comes up. 2 lines under Microsoft Windows, you will see "Service Pack ___" (1-4)

By AV I mean Anti Virus software. Norton, McAfee?

I also want to know if you have any trouble with windows poping up, odd-ball search engines comming up instead of Google, Yahoo!, etc. Alot of the spyware problems that I've delt with lately cause problems similar to what you decribe.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Sorry, it's SP4, I was thinking of something else obviously.
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'm using Antivir
No spyware problems, I use spybot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Redneck
Service Pack 7!?
eek.gif
We're not talking about the same thing....

OK, get to the desktop and right-click on "My Computer", click on the PROPERTIES button and look at the window that comes up. 2 lines under Microsoft Windows, you will see "Service Pack ___" (1-4)

By AV I mean Anti Virus software. Norton, McAfee?

I also want to know if you have any trouble with windows poping up, odd-ball search engines comming up instead of Google, Yahoo!, etc. Alot of the spyware problems that I've delt with lately cause problems similar to what you decribe.

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 12
Ok, glad to hear about the spybot.

Now, search your C: drive for msoe.dll. Make sure the files found list is showing details (location, size, date, etc.) You should have AT LEAST 2 copies of the file, one in a \Program Files\... folder and one in the ...\System32\dllcache folder. These two files should be the same size and date. If they aren't or the dllcache copy is missing, copy the one from the Program Files to the dllcache. If the Program Files version is missing, try the one from the SP4 directory (should have also shown up in the search). This may or may not match the one that came in SP4Just get them to match, then reboot.

If this doesn't fix it, next step is to run SP4 (not a bad idea anyway if you install and uninstall a bunch).

I'll stop here for now. I'll be offline for about the next 20 hours. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back