Need help with open, over-ear headphones for heavy metal (Grado alternatives)
Aug 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 28
Ok I think I'm going to get the Soundmagic HP200 are they discontinued because I cant find anything on their website I can get them for $200 does that seem reasonable?

Also from what I've read they sound better with an amp/dac which I was going to get anyway so what would you recommend, I want to use it with my pc and phone but don't want battery power and under $150.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #18 of 28
You'd have to email Soundmagic to find out why they don't list them on their website. They also don't list the new HP150, so my assumption would be that their website is not up to date.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 28

Any recommendations, suggestions and advice would be very helpful

Quote:

I need some recommendations my budget is $300 and I want open or semi open headphones.
They will be used for music heavy metal only and gaming the only requirement for gaming is for them to be very comfortable and I don't care about the impedance because I will buy a amp/dac if I need to.

I found both not aggressive enough and lack some punch in the bass

If this is your kind of metal (see the display on the phone), then what you need might be a used or refurb HD600 on a good amp and a neutral DAC (any DAC with an output stage tuned to make it sound warm will not work with your other requirements). This system comes close enough to a live metal sound (within reason), the only downside really is that the HD600's earpads when worn out result in too warm sound with some sharp edges, which will happen much sooner for you if you use it for gaming. If you're buying it used or refurb you can buy a brand new pair of earpads and use those for music. I have two pairs that I switch around every few weeks or so (even the older one sounds less like its age should after a few weeks of zero use), and when I switch I wash the ones I take out.

In any case I wouldn't cross out the Beyer from that list.

Quote:

I want it to sound like I'm at the concert, impossible but you know what I mean

Not totally impossible. While my favorite "live sound" system was the Cayin CDT23, Cayin CD88T (I'm sure other amps will do just as well, better if they're more transparent), and Aurum Cantus Vollas. The problem is that set-up will cost around $5,000, although when I hooked up my Cantate.2 and HD600 to the CDT23, it generally had that same live sound tonal quality.

Quote:

also the akg isolated very well which annoyed me.

Just a clarification - what specifically was wrong with the isolation? If you have too little isolation and too much ambient noise you'll have to rely on more power and dB's to overcome the ambient noise. Sometimes you don't realize it but it's actually there as a mix of a lot of other sounds, although none are loud enough to be distinct - like listening at 9pm vs 12mn.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #20 of 28
Thank you for all your inputs I ended up getting the dt880 600Ω. I'm now looking for an amp/dac under $200 I don't need portability so far this is what I've been looking at:

fiio e10k
audioengine d1
audinst hud-mx1 or mx2
aune x1
zero 24 bit/192khz dac/amp
topping d2 or d3
schiit magni + fiio d03k
objective2 + fiio d03k

what does everyone recommend

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 28
  Thank you for all your inputs I ended up getting the dt880 600Ω. I'm now looking for an amp/dac under $200 I don't need portability so far this is what I've been looking at:

schiit magni + fiio d03k

Why not just get the Modi with the Magni? It'll only go over $200 because of shipping; you might as well save up for that anyway. Also if you're using a gaming computer and your motherboard has optical output and the on-board audio has virtual surround, you can get the optical version of the Modi. Virtual surround can go through optical.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #22 of 28
Why not just get the Modi with the Magni? It'll only go over $200 because of shipping; you might as well save up for that anyway. Also if you're using a gaming computer and your motherboard has optical output and the on-board audio has virtual surround, you can get the optical version of the Modi. Virtual surround can go through optical.

+1

This would be my choice as well.

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #26 of 28
I live in Australia its $280 because of shipping and currency conversion and I can only get it of the schiit website where as the other products I mention a can get from eBay or amazon

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 28
  I live in Australia its $280 because of shipping and currency conversion and I can only get it of the schiit website where as the other products I mention a can get from eBay or amazon

I'd personally just save up for the extra $80 and get them together as shipping would be more expensive if you get one now then another shipping box for the other later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back