Need help with next headphone
Jul 19, 2016 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

luckyeights

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so currently I have an audio technica m50x and a pair of akg 7xx headphones.  I also am using a creative zxr sound card and a centrance dacport slim for use on the go.  

I like the detail and sound stage of the 7xx headphones but they are too analytical or harsh to my ears for my taste.  I can only listen to them for about an hour before my ears start to hurt.  But i cant find when i listen to them what causes my ears to become fatigued and hurt from listing to them.   Its not like the treble is harsh or sibilant its like the overall sound of them for some reason?  

I like the m50x headphones i can put them on and listen to them indefinitely very comfortable and very easy to listen to.  My problem with them are no sound stage, congested sounding? , not a very detailed headphone (a lot of details are lost going from 7xx to these)  

So basically what I am looking for is something that is a mix of the two maybe?  Decent sound stage with a warmer sound signature (I feel like i might be treble sensitive),  good BASS.  I listen to all sorts of different things, watch movies and play video games.  So has to be a decent all rounder headphone.  My budget is around $500ish used (depending on condition) or new. 

Headphones iv been looking at

Sen HD650
Hifiman HE400i
Fostex th-x00  currently on massdrop
used pair of LCD2s

something from audio technica maybe? but it looks like the cut out their midifi range ? at least by looking at their website.

Any other suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank you.  I have to ask I noticed under your post you have past and present.  In present you have 2 sub $40 headphones but in past you have like $1,000 dollar headphones.  May I Ask what made you get rid of them?  Still searching for the perfect headphone? 

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 10
  Thank you.  I have to ask I noticed under your post you have past and present.  In present you have 2 sub $40 headphones but in past you have like $1,000 dollar headphones.  May I Ask what made you get rid of them?  Still searching for the perfect headphone? 

Just financial circumstances. I want the best-sounding headphone(s) out there, and had many good ones, but am broke at the moment. In the past, I would get rid of headphones because I either needed money, wanted to try more headphones, or just didn't like them.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 10
  So you suggest that i try the He400i yes?  I have heard mixed things about the treble, would you consider it sibilant or harsh in the high notes?  

It's fairly neutral but a little warm. (click) It has the same type of smooth, textured sound signature as the more expensive HE1000, but with lower performance. I never found it sibilant or harsh. Mine had a modified grill. I've never heard the stock HE400i and don't know how different it is than my modified one, so take that into account. Oh, and also, they released a reportedly improved revision some time after I owned it. If you buy it new, it should be the latest revision.

If you ever have problems with a headphone's frequency response, you can fix many or most of them with a parametric equalizer. For example, reducing treble frequencies is a paltry task. You can try it with your current headphones too.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Well I just got my pair of 400is in the mail today and they sound great (i did admittedly boost the bass in my eq heh).  Oh thought i should let you know he400is ship from the factory now with basically the grill mod.  They removed the metal cover over the driver they did this because I guess they got a lot of requests to do this.  Supposedly it does the same thing the grill mod did but maybe better.  They also i am sure you already knew changed the plugs to 2.5mm from the screw on type. 

So far these things are just great i dont have to ever take them off no listening fatigue which to me is amazing.  My akg7xxs i cant keep them things on my head for more than 30 minutes before my ears are screaming for a break.  

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 10
  Well I just got my pair of 400is in the mail today and they sound great (i did admittedly boost the bass in my eq heh).  Oh thought i should let you know he400is ship from the factory now with basically the grill mod.  They removed the metal cover over the driver they did this because I guess they got a lot of requests to do this.  Supposedly it does the same thing the grill mod did but maybe better.  They also i am sure you already knew changed the plugs to 2.5mm from the screw on type. 

So far these things are just great i dont have to ever take them off no listening fatigue which to me is amazing.  My akg7xxs i cant keep them things on my head for more than 30 minutes before my ears are screaming for a break.  

Cool! Glad things worked out for ya.

I knew about all that except for the grill part. I wonder why all the photos on online shops (and the HIFIMAN website) still show the cover, if that's the case.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 10
There are pictures at on page 637(http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/9540) of the change they made to the driver from the old to the new driver. They also if I remember correctly there used to be a thin foam or fabric right behind the grill that was also removed.  I know the driver change is fact but I am not sure on the foam/fabric as i dont have any before or after pics that I could find i know mine does not have any and mine are the new ones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back