Need help with new headphones
Jul 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FaustianEchoes

New Head-Fier
Hello,

As said in the tittle, I need some help choosing some new headphones.

The intent is to use the headphones at home (be it on the computer or in my bed using the ipod). They will be used mostly to metal and daily computer stuff, such as youtube,teamspeak and some games. I really want them to perform well in terms of music, even if that means sacrificing a bit of quality in gaming and stuff.

Few things I want to point out:

- I don't have any amp.
- I don't have any fancy soundcard.
- The budget is around 130-150€ MAX, but I was looking to spend around 100€ and still get good quality, if possible.

Now, from what I've seen so far, I like the Sennheiser 558 that I can get around 135 euros, but since it's on my budget's limit and I'd rather spend a little less, I have a few questions:

- Is investing in the 558 worth it even without a great soundcard or amp for the ipod?
- Is it worth it to invest in any other combo? If so, what combo?
- Is it a good idea to invest in the 558 now and invest into a cheap soundcard (like xonar DG) and a cheap portable amp (like FiiO E6) later?

From my research around here, I liked the Takstar Hi2050 and the AD700 as well, mostly because of the price. However, I can't find them where I live (Portugal) and I would rather not order them from overseas, mostly because of warranty issues.

The HD439 seem nice as well.

I don't now much about this kind of stuff and I'm going insane with this headphone search. I really need some help.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 2
Although you did not state what sound card (if any) you have presently, in your case I would start with a decent sound card--preferably with an amp built in.  You will get the best advice abou this in the "Computer Audio" sub-section of the forum.  At least in the U.S. these can be had quite affordably.  The folks in that area of the forum can help with  your selection.

With that accomplished you have improved what ends up in your cans.  You also will have a wider choice of good cans in your price range with an amp in you audio chain.  This is the point when you can start looking/listening for the right can for you and your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back