Need Help with New Headphone selection: Denon D600, Hifiman HE400, Sony MDR-1R, Senn Momentum, V-Moda M100
Mar 31, 2014 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sujitsky

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone...

Been a long time reader and kindly request your inputs.

I need to buy my next pair of cans from the following:

1. Denon D600
2. Sony MDR-1R
3. HiFiMan HE400 (Velour?)
4. Sennheiser Momentum
5. V-Moda M100

(Open to other suggestions
o2smile.gif
)

Background:
I am a noob in the audiophile world but going through these forums led to my first major headphone purchase.

I currently own the following:
Bose AE2
Beyer DTX 101 IEM
Beyer DT 990 pro (love them and don't find these to be really bright like some people here).

I am also saving up for a Lyr + Bifrost combo (heard they are the Schiit!)

I am looking to use these primarily for music (Classic Rock, Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, EDM) and Games (BF4, Arkham series, FIFA, etc.). Some artists I listen to a lot would be Queen, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons (hope this helps).

These are all in the 200$ - 350$ range on Amazon.com and I would ideally like to buy there (have a 200$ gift card).

Thank you for your inputs, in advance! 
atsmile.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 10
  I love the Velour pads on my Beyers. Do you think they make a big difference to the sound and comfort on the HE400?? Thanks!

I don't know, but have read that the 400 sounds better with the standard pleather pads that it does with velour. 

Comfort is subjective and very personal.  Nevertheless more folks find velour pads to be more comfortable than pleather ones.

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 10
To choose from within, I would definitely recommend the HiFiMAN HE-400. They're just crazily good for their price, though they need to be well amped to bring out their maximum potential.
Velour pads to me help in comfort. I've heard others say they affect sound quality, but I don't think so.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks!

Have you or anybody else used this site? are they reliable? http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm

I am considering getting the HE400 here and putting my Amazon gift card towards a Lyr amp. 
dt880smile.png

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 10
I love the Velour pads on my Beyers. Do you think they make a big difference to the sound and comfort on the HE400?? Thanks!

I think the sound signature is different with the velour, but I haven't decided which I like better yet. I'm fine with the stock pads as far as comfort since they are open headphones (they breathe). But comfort is an individual thing. It would be worth it to get the velour pads and decide for yourself.

Thanks!

Have you or anybody else used this site? are they reliable? http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm

I am considering getting the HE400 here and putting my Amazon gift card towards a Lyr amp. :dt880smile:

Research and ask questions about that seller in the main discussion thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

As for the Lyr, that will definitely give the HE-400s some power :D

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 10
Nice! Hope your ears are happy after hearing them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back