Need help with new computer setup :)
Jun 17, 2007 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, it has been a while since I last thought about computers and a AMD Athlon 2000+ XP just doesn't cut it anymore. I probably will not be overclocking.

I'm looking for a new set up to play WoW and Warcraft 3 but first I have a question. Is it a good time to upgrade or should I wait for a new technology?

What is this Core 2 Duo Speak?

Can you guys please help me with the setup, here is what I need help on:

Intel Chip:
Motherboard:
Graphics Card:
Memory:

Thanks for your help guys!

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 29
well, I sold my last rig couple months ago (intel c2d, 4.1 ghz daily run under single stage phase) but I think I still can give you a start.

Before going further what is ur budget - do you need an operating system, case, and monitor?

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I sold my last rig couple months ago (intel c2d, 4.1 ghz daily run under single stage phase) but I think I still can give you a start.

Before going further what is ur budget - do you need an operating system, case, and monitor?

Budget will be ~$600 for the above mentioned components. I plan to get a $70 case + PSU on newegg (I'll make sure it's a good brand name PSU) and probably throw in Windows XP. I already have the hard drive and Monitor.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you shouldn't have problem running WOW and Warcraft3 at Althlon XP 2000+. What graphic card and Memory you use?

The problem is the PSU is garbage (non name brand 400w), the memory is non name brand (512mb), and the graphics card is a MX440 (garbage). The AMD is also the old T-Bred (just remembered) so it heats up alot.

Rather than upgrading those components why not make a whole new computer.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 29
OK, in this post let me write quality stuff. Then will find you a $600 rig later:

mobo: Gigabyte P35-DQ6 ($250), Asus P5K-Deluxe ($225),
cpu: e6600 ($220), e6420 ($185)
ram: 2gb ballistix 8500 ($125), 2gb ballistix 6400 ($70)
vid card: 8800gts ($255)

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 29
The new Core 2 Duo processors were released a couple months ago, so I'd say now would be a good time to build a new computer with the Core 2 Duo as the processor. If I was in your situation, I would do this:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (or E6300 if you can afford it)
Motherboard: Asus P5N-E
Graphics card: GeForce 8800GTS (DX10)
Memory: Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 (Or your personal favorite memory manufacturer)

That should be ~$650. This was the system I was going to build awhile back, but I just ended up getting a notebook instead.

For a good PSU check out the Enhance 5150GH (I actually have one that I don't need, but it's really supposed to be a top-notch PSU, even ask the folks on [H]ardForum and they'll agree; they actually recommended it to me).

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 29
well, I would do like this:

mobo: GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R(new p35 chipset): $135 > link
cpu: e6420: $186 > link
ram: Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400: $70 > link
video card: Pny 8800 GTS: $250 > link

also, don't forget a good cpu cooler (tuniq tower) and as5 for another $60. Total: $700 = kick ass rig!

If you want to build it for $600 go for the used parts. Check anandtech, hardforum, xtremesystems...

Good luck!

PS: please, do not buy a JUNK psu, check johnyguru's web site (entech recommendation is good)...

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 29
Your CPU is OK, but WOW with MX440 and 512MB memory?
OH.... NO!!! You are more brave than I thought. You're a sitting duck in WOW with that rig. I thought you at least have ATI 9550 video card. ;P

What you need is better graphic card, and more memory.
Something like Nvidia 6600 + 1G Ram will make WOW almost fly.

However, I think it is almost the time for you to make drastic change with your rig, and if you want to spend $650 for new rig... let me see... I would tell you parts that have best performance/price ratio that fits your budget.

1. Forton Source or Xclio 450~550W for PSU.

2. E6420 for CPU

3. Your mainboard does not have to be the top of the line, but make sure it is at least mid-upper level mainboard from reliable company. This will save you from whole lot of headache that could happen with crappy main board.

4. 8600GT for video card.

5. 2GB of memory. If you do not intend overclocking, do not spend extra $ for premium memory. Always buy reliable brand.

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 29
Is there a recomendation for something lower than a 8800 GTS since I will be playing War3 and WoW mostly.

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a recomendation for something lower than a 8800 GTS since I will be playing War3 and WoW mostly.

Try a 8600GT, they're a bit cheaper and still a great card for the money.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 29
MuZI, haven't seen my post yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

8600GT is good one. Cheaper than 8800, still quite good speed, DX10 support, consumes less power, and fantastic hardware HDTV acceleration which is better than that of 8800 due to its improved purevideo engine.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MuZI, haven't seen my post yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

I was probably typing as you posted, sorry about that.

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 29
I suggest that you have a look at the system requirements for both of these games. You will notice that each of them only demands a modest CPU (P3 800Mhz), but demands a decent graphics card and 1GB memory.

A faster CPU will probably gain you very little for these games as they are memory and graphics intensive rather than CPU.

You can save yourself money by simply buying a new motherboard that supports PCIe graphics and a new middle of the road PCIe Graphics card, and use you existing CPU witha view to upgrading it later; when you actually will use more CPU cycles.

Check out the following link
http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww0830p

The other recoimmendation seems to be 1GB of memory. There seems to be a prevailing view lately that every PC needs 2Gb of memory. They simply don't. 1GB will be fine for your needs.

You may also choose to buy your new case and PS anyway and just move all of your existing components and upgrade the new bits.

Google world of warcraft hardware specs and read the squillion responses on this issue. That will then allow you to make up your own mind.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 29
I basically agree on what fordgtlover said. And that is the money saving way.
I used to play WOW for a while, so I know what the game required. All he need is better videocard and more memory.

However, there is another thing to think about.
Upgrading video card and memory only could make him happy for a while, but that alone is not enough for other recent or upcoming games, and his rig is gonna be out of date pretty quick. If we think about that, upgrading bit further is gonna be a good choice at this moment for him, of cause, only if he is willing to do that. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back