need help with my Z5500,cannot hear all 5 speakers at the same time
Apr 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Couch Potato

Head-Fier
today i purchased logitech z5500 for those who are farmiliar with this audio device please help! im really new to audio setups

Im using Acer 8930G laptop it came with built in 5.1 dolby cinematic surround sound
my laptop has 3 ports.
Headphone/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support.
Microphone-in jack.
Line-in jack

when i connect my controller
with
i know how the lines connect to the back of the controller due to instruction booklet, but i dont know how the other 3 lines connect to my laptop
right now i connect my "Green Line" into the headphones line out jack only,(the other black and orange line is unplugged)

the problem is i cannot hear all 5 speakers at the same time / i cannot hear each speaker at the same volume.

with only the green line plugin( the other 2 unplugged cause when i plug them in it doesnt make a difference)

Input:direct
Effect 6Ch Direct
i can hear the front 2 speakers, but not mid and the 2 rear speakers

Effect: Stereo x2
i can hear the front 2 speakers + the rear 2 speakers but not the mid

Effect: PLII Movie
i can only hear the Mid the Loudest, the other 4 has very very tiny sound

Effect: Music
i can hear the the front 3 speakers with decent noise but the 2 rear with tiny sound

some of my friends can hear ALL 5 speakers loud with Effect:6 Ch Direct

i have no idea what my sound card is the info might be in here im not sure
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire8930G/Aspire8930Gsp2.shtml

when i tested each speaker, the front 2works fine, and when i tested the middle one it only has sound in the front 2 speakers, the middle speaker stayed silent same with the rear 2 speakers i can only hear them in the front 2 speakers but more towards the edge if u know what i mean

really need help in this one, all the people that i know can play all 5 speakers perfectly with
Effect:6Ch Direct

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 12
It looks like the mini-jack speaker output plug also function as an digital optical output.
So you need a cable that is mini-jack digital S/PDIF optical to Toslink S/PDIF optical.
So one end is going into the mini-jack on your laptop the other end plugs into the optical input on the Logitech optical input.
Just do a web search for "mini-jack S/PDIF cable"
The website Monoprice sells the cable "6ft Toslink to mini" for $2.41 + shipping.
The cable can come in 3ft, 6ft, 12ft, 25ft, 50ft lengths.
Or try Amazon.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 12

im sorry i couldnt understand plzz simplify TT , so i need to buy  mini-jack digital S/PDIF optical to Toslink S/PDIF optical cord

i found this youtube video is this what u are talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAp9cpYpYs8

will doing the following give me 5.1 true dolby surround sound? but the comment in youtube says "most likely not"

and the author said that "Sure. Not every laptop has SPDIF outs, and when they do it is rare that it is more then a 2ch out. I recommend an external soundcard if you want 5.1 from a laptop." PS: my laptop comes with a 5.1 dolby built in

my laptop do have SPDIF outs right? according to my laptop specs (sry im new to this ><)

thanks for the reply much appreciate! 

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I'm sorry I couldn't understand plzz simplify TT , so i need to buy  mini-jack digital S/PDIF optical to Toslink S/PDIF optical cord
I found this youtube video is this what u are talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAp9cpYpYs8
Will doing the following give me 5.1 true dolby surround sound? but the comment in youtube says "most likely not"
and the author said that "Sure. Not every laptop has SPDIF outs, and when they do it is rare that it is more then a 2ch out. I recommend an external sound card if you want 5.1 from a laptop." PS: my laptop comes with a 5.1 Dolby built in
my laptop do have SPDIF outs right? according to my laptop specs (sorry I'm new to this ><)

That video is about 95% of what I'm taking about, the cable he used was an (optical) Toslink to Toslink and he used an adapter (male Mini-jack optical to Toslink optical female) on the laptop to make the connection.
But you can buy the cable with the mini-jack digital optical connector already built into one end.
Most laptops usually come with just two speaker (stereo, 2 channel), which is all most people need from a laptop.
Your laptop comes with a 5.1 speaker (6 channel) already built in, so there is a chance it might output a 5.1 (6 channel) with the S/PDIF connection.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 12
OOO i got it to work!

this is what i did

i selected the bottom one instead of the top one,
btw the rear 2 speakers has little noise, is there a way to make it sound the same / to increase volume?

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 12
First think is go to the Realtek website and download and install the latest driver/control panel (R2.68) software.
Then make sure you have set the computer for 5.1 output.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 12
ive updated the drivers

as you can see there are no options that gives me permission to change the sound on each speaker, but i have 5.1 enabled on the second pic

BUT for the speaker (top left) there are 5.1 available to adjust,but since im not using the input:6ch direct option i cannot access it

are there no other way to configure the speakers on input:xf_eek:ptical?

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Have you tried changing the setting on the Z-5500?
Make sure the input is set correctly?
Also if the the Z5500 setting are set to 2 channel, 5,1 channel, expanded stereo, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back