Need help with my setup....
Aug 30, 2013 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

corvuslunar

New Head-Fier
Ok I am new here and this might not be a high end question but I want to get the best sound I can from what I have.

PC mobo Audio out - 1/8th to RCA Cable into the CD/Line 2 - Yorkville SOK Mixer Amp- 1/4 to 1/8th connector - Senn HD201s

before I had my Pc connected to the amp with a 1/8 to 1/4  plugged into the EXT/FX port on my amp but it made my headphones sound gutless and I couldn't adjust anything on the amp...now I can.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 18
Don't understand why you need to pass the signal to your cd player?? Want to buy something new, what you need help with?

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 18
Seems to me that the weak point in that chain would be the PC motherboard. Even if the DAC in there is good, there are lots of opportunities to introduce noise into the chain inside a PC. You may also be, effectively, double amping the signal (once in the PC, and again in the Yorkville). From a signal quality perspective, your best move may be to introduce an outboard DAC that will convert the digital signal from your PC and provide a line-level out to the Yorkville. One example of this is the Schiit Modi which can be had for about $100. I'm assuming that you're happy with the sound coming out of the Yorkville and your headphones. 

One potential weakness I haven't really discussed is your source. If you're listening to MP3s encoded at 128, you might not notice much of a difference with an outboard DAC. In fact, it might accentuate some of the harsher elements in the sound. In such a case, you would do better by upgrading your source.

These are just my ideas. Someone else may have other, equally valid suggestions.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 18
Headphones are fine when driven by the Amp....mainly i listen to cd's or something ripped to my Itunes..not sure how good of a source that is tho .  Main issue I have is i can pick up compression . Like I said just trying to make sure my pc is connected to my amp the right way mainly.

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 18
Honestly you should buy something like a Fiio E07, it's a USB dac. Run your Dac into your amp, Mobo audio out is very bad always 

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Would recommend the Hifimediy DAC.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
Is running my audio 1/8th plug out from mobo to RCA In at amp better then running 1/8th out at mobo to 1/4 in on amp?

The size of the interconnector makes no differeance, 3.5mm and 6mm jacks are sonically the same. You really need a better sound card or an external Dac, that would give you an IMMEDIATE imcrease in sound quality! 

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Look at some of the highly regarded budget solutions out there... Like the hifimediy for example

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Ok thank You what am I looking at for a decent ( under $100 ) DAC or sound card? Win XP os here

Oh nice lol, good ole XP

Still I would think something like the Schiit Modi should still work 

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 18
Considering what he owns now, a 100$ DAC might be overkill unless he is planning to upgrade. Ideally, I wouldn't spend more than some 50$ in his place. I don't suppose the Yorkville has a particularly good headphone amp anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back