Need help with my Sennheiser HD660s. Left side went silent
May 24, 2020 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VSTOLL

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I got a HD660s last year when I was traveling to the US (I live in Brazil) and I loved it, and I took care of it like a baby. I have a soft pillow on my desk just to place it without hitting the desk on accident.

The thing is, I was working today, listening to some Rush on Tidal like I normally do and then I took it off to go to the kitchen, when I got back, the left side was dead. Tries different cables and sources and nothing. Just dead.

I'm really bummed, as I said, I treat it like a baby and I was expecting it to last 20 years like I see with some HD600s.

I would love if you guys could shine a light on it, I really don't want to lose this headphones.

Thanks a bunch!

May 24, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Do you happen to have a multimeter? If so you can test for continuity and resistance in the driver.
Do you have a balanced cable as well?

I don't have a multimeter but I can get one on tuesday.
I have a 2.5mm balanced that I was using and the original 4.4mm that comes in the box, but I don't have where to plug it.

Do you think it's more likely that the wires are loose or that the driver is busted?

May 24, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 8
Did you swap the left for right and right for left ? That would probably eliminate the cable and source as the problem.

May 24, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Well the 6 series had issues where the cable plugs into the cup of the headphone. If swapping cables a good bit the spring would either break or move/stretch a little.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to mention another site on here for you to use so I'll be sending you a pm. Here's a pic though of the common issue.

Edit: if you look closely at the lower spring. You can see the gap is bigger. The pin will not make good contact if it's stretched like so.
20200524_093607.jpg

I don't have a multimeter but I can get one on tuesday.
I have a 2.5mm balanced that I was using and the original 4.4mm that comes in the box, but I don't have where to plug it.

Do you think it's more likely that the wires are loose or that the driver is busted?

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 8
So, updating.

I got a multimeter, the little wires that connect the springs to the driver are fine, but I get no reading or no beep when I try from spring to spring or the contact points on the driver.

The coil is busted somehow. I don't know how this happened but it did and it's a sad day.

May 25, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Do you guys think that my FiiO K3 is the culprit? I've been using the headphone with a 2.5mm balanced cable that I've bought out of aliexpress (this one). I never really went above 3 o'clock, just if the source had low volume. When the source had low volume, I would put on the highest gain option. Never used bass boost also.

The output power of the 3.5mm single-ended is 220mW(16Ω)/120mW(32Ω) and power for the 2.5mm balanced is 320mW(16Ω)/200mW(32Ω). I was testing both outputs this week, before the headphone died, with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm to know if I could hear a difference (not really, not even in the volume but I didn't cranked it up).

So, is it possible that my K3 is defective and I didn't know about it and now it just killed my headphone? Is there any hearable difference when the amp is defective?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back