Need help with music management on my pc
Aug 7, 2013 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nastynice

100+ Head-Fier
So recently I've been trying to properly tag and organize all my music.  I don't understand what's going on, but I tried itunes and mediamonkey, as I've seen them recommended here, but I just keep having issue after issue.  itunes can't properly sync with my iphone, it always mixes up the album art and stuff.  So I got mediamonkey which syncs with iphone perfectly fine but now I'm trying to convert my files from FLAC to mp3, and I click on convert and I just get no response.  It worked once before, but now it doesnt.  I've been using mp3tag for tagging my files and that seems to be the only piece of software which is properly made.

I'm looking for any help, any suggestions, either help with either of these or something else to try.  I know mp3's have been out for over a decade now, so I don't understand why all this mp3 software is so poorly made and full of bugs.  I'm getting really frustrated at this point.  So anything you can tell me, any advice of how to make either of these programs work properly, or something else to try, please let me know.

*is there a tech help area in this forum, maybe where I can ask specific questions about specific programs?

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 11
I've had a lot of success using Foobar for organizing large quantities of music. It lets you edit multiple tags simultaneously (e.g. setting an album name on all the tracks simultaneously) which is handy. I've also used it to batch rename and move files according to their metadata. It also provides a nice interface for converting between file types. I recently got some music from HDtracks and Deustche Grammophon and used Foobar's tools to quickly get the meta data properly (and consistently :wink: ) set for all the albums, then move them into my music library folder with my folder organization scheme, and finally convert them to mp3 for copying to my laptop.

Cheers

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 11
Cool, thanks, I will check it out.  I actually downloaded it, so I will see how it is.  I also realized that the issue with mediamonkey not converting my files was maybe something is wrong with that flac file, because my other flac files are now converting just fine.  So maybe it was my fault, I guess my flac file is corrupted or soemthing

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 11
For tagging Mp3tag is great. Foobar does really nice job in converting all kinds of stuff while keeping metadata and album art. The good thing in Foobar is that it support pretty much any format thanks to command line encoder support.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Best way IME is do it yourself in windows explorer, after tagging with Mp3Tag,
I use folder tree  (Artist)/ year Album and paste a folder.jpg, inside every album folder, then configure foobar or other software in folder view,
don`t let audio players to change tags or its mess..

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 11
ok.  Yea, I was using mp3tag for the metdata, and its been working great.  Actually, mediamonkey has been working good for me.  The original album that it wouldn't convert from flac to mp3, it worked yesterday, so I really don't know what happened the day before, i have no explanation.  I hope I have no more issues like that, but yesterday it worked perfectly.  All my flac is being compressed to 320kbps for use on my iphone :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
For tagging Mp3tag is great. Foobar does really nice job in converting all kinds of stuff while keeping metadata and album art. The good thing in Foobar is that it support pretty much any format thanks to command line encoder support.

I use MP3tag too but foobar sees a lot more tags that are not shown in MP3tag. For advanced tagging I use foobar and basic stuff MP3tag.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Media monkey is awesome, try some of the scripts for a really great time

IMO superior to foobar in every way except for audio playback. I'm not a foobar fan at all, actually...

I'm now using jriver and beyond satisfied but its not free (or cheap!) and the learning curve can be steep for more advanced things

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 11
really? What are some things that mp3tag doesn't tag that you can tag with foobar? 
That I'd like to know too since Mp3tag supports custom tags. On top of that it has really handy custom batch operations support. Also FYI, you can customise the default view and include whatever fields you want.

Extended tag view:
tagsu9aak.png

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

really? What are some things that mp3tag doesn't tag that you can tag with foobar? 

Lots. That image posted above doesn't look like the MP3Tag app I have and it doesn't show extended tags either. 

This is the app I am talking about: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ and I see my version is 2.48 so need to update to the latest. I use MP3Tag for converting tags to file name which I don't believe foobar can do.

I just checked my MP3Tag for an extended view and found it under view but it is greyed out and I suppose that is because I use the free version and never "donated" any money so no extended tags for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back