Need help with itunes and music archive
Sep 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

figured this is best forum for this enquiry.

Anyway, uni is about to start again so I have dug out my old ipod (seeing as I have sold all my other gear and ditching portable amps etc, but I need SOME music with me while on campus) and downloaded itunes.

I have 110 gigs of flac, which I have batch converted to apple lossless using dbpoweramp

I then imported the converted files into itunes.

Trouble is, presumably/obviously, the tags were never present or have become broken, and itunes imported 17 albums correctly, but then decided to create one album entitled unknown artists and dump the remaining 4500 songs into this folder.

HELP.

How the hell am I gonna get around this problem, and how the hell do you tag music files?

I usually just drag and drop and everything works exactly as I like it, but obviously itunes isn't going to play ball and I need to try and work WITH it rather than against it.

Any suggestions, advice etc would be amazing as there is no way I am re-ripping my entire cd collection, it took me over a week to do it last time, that isn't an option this time round.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Or you could try mp3tag, it supports apple losses. The same thing happened to me some months ago with all my library due to a hard drive failure and my backup was in wav. And with this program I had it sort out in a few days.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 5
ok guys you freaking rock.

I have never tagged anything before, just usually rip and organsie into folders then drag n drop and everything is cool as mentioned.

However, I downloaded mp3 tag and gave it a whirl.

Very easy to learn how to use and I have finally just managed to tag my entire flac collection... took 3 days of effort though (obv not constant work)

now converting into alac (I realise a potential mistake of not converting first THEN tagging) and hopefully the tags will remain.

Anyway, I will let you guys know wether ive cracked it once itunes gets onto the job.

But for now, sincerely, thank you so much, I was stumped and did not know what to do next.

Cheers guys, you have been a fantastic help.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 5
You're flac tags should remain in apple lossles. And itunes should have no problem detecting those tags, even the album artwork. However a a word of caution, there is a folder in you're itunes library that says automatically add to itunes, if you convert directly you're flac songs to that archive and  if you happen to have itunes open some songs will loose the tags I don't know why but it happened to me actually twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back