Need help with interconnect (3.5mm mini-mini)
Oct 24, 2003 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Halide

100+ Head-Fier
I got the 3.5mm male right-angled jacks from switchcraft with canare miniature star quad cable.

I need tips on :

1- How much do you cut back on the outer sleeve (just enough to be crimped and inside the casing?)
2- How do you remove the braided fine-metal wire sleeve
3- How much do you strip off of the individual wires
4- Should I solder both white wires to the ground of the connector, or just cut them short
5- How do you crimp the wire (before soldering? after? and what tool?)

i know these are some REALLY newbie questions, but I just don't like how mine turned out... It works, but it's sloppy, and I also accidentally cut into the outer sleeve on one side which may lead to a problem in the future
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 14
Just made a mini-mini yesterday, with Canare Star Quad and Canare F-12 minis.
1. Enough to solder the wires to the terminals, and back to the grounding crimp.
2. I leave just enough to fit under the crimp fully.
3. Enough to solder to.
4. I used the white wires for left and the blue for right. The crimp on the shield is my ground connection.
5. After soldering. Pliers. Just clamp it down, one side, then the other.

Oct 25, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 14
I used wire clippers to cut the sleeve. Get a pair if you don't have one - you'll never run out of uses for them.

Cut the rubber insulation back to leave enough room so the wires touch the solder lugs. When you crimp it, crimp it to the metal braid - that's your ground connection.

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm hopeless...
biggrin.gif

I still don't get it. You have to fit the blue insulation into the casing, so how can you crimp onto the ground sleeve when the metal crimps are so close to the end of the casing ?
confused.gif

I wonder if someone who's made one like this can take a picture of the inside

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 14
I would clamp the rubber, for better mechanical integrity, solder the ground shield to the shank of the plug, and use heat shrink tubing on the entire assembly. Clamping only the ground shield is not very sturdy and may lead to the cable pulling out of the plug.

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 14
Trying to find a canadian online distributor for Switchcraft connectors, no luck so far.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks, Demolition

I'll search and call both Quebec and Ontario dealers about that. since I live like 10 min from Ontario, that'll give me some extra hope to find the product in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back