Need help with improving the functionality of my setup
Sep 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

muad

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am trying to figure out a way of using my studio monitors with the rca dac outputs from my o2/odac custom combo. From what I have read you can't use the odac to output to speakers and headphones at the same time. So if I am using speakers, I just turn off the o2 amp. When using the o2 amp I don't want to turn off my studio monitors (for various reasons). In addition to this, I want to use a conventient volume control to control the studio monitors. So as I figure I have two options.

1. Build a passive preamp with an on/off switch to isolate the output to the monitors while using the o2 amp. This would create a situation of infinite resistance and be the same as having my studio monitors turned off.

2. Get the emotiva control freak and just turn the volume all the way down. This is what I would prefer to do. The control freak has a 10k volume pot. So this means I would still have a 10k ohm resistance load on the rca out from the odac. Is this functionally the same as infinite resistance? Will it still affect the sound of the o2 headphone output when control freak is turned all the way down?

Thanks for your help!

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Option 3: Sell your ODAC/O2 and get an Audio-GD NFB-15. There's nothing like having an all in one preamp/dac/headphone amp for this situation. I have been where you are, done that, moved on. In fact, I could sell you a Fostex PC1e Volume Controller. LOL

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion. I really like the sound of the O2, and I am not a fan of audio-gd. I would be more enthusiastic if they provided some measurements or at least specs that would give me some idea of its performance.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 7
They do provide specs. On their specs page ???

As a former O2/ODAC owner, all I can say is that the Audio-GD products are excellent. However, if you have heard their products and don't like them, to each his own :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Here are some basic source selectors that are cheaper than $49 (don't know about shipping) and offer push button convenience.

http://electronics.mcmelectronics.com/electronics/Audio-Source-Selector-Switch

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks for the suggestion. I really like the sound of the O2, and I am not a fan of audio-gd. I would be more enthusiastic if they provided some measurements or at least specs that would give me some idea of its performance.

The link is right there under the thumbnail photos on the product page - it says "Specs."

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15/NFB15EN_Specs.htm

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 7
That's the older model NFB-15. The USB sampling rates are better on the newer one: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN_Specs.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back