Need help with IE8i
Apr 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Reabroy

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Few days ago I bought Sennherser IE8i from Ebay without knowing that it was discontinued by its manufacturer. However, as I tried the headphone, it turned out that I barely felt and heard the bass even though I put the bass booster in the EQ and put the volume to the highest point. Did I received a counterfeit one, or the headphone requires some burnin.

Thank you for your response.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Driver break-in (it's mechanical, so I use the same term as on an engine with moving parts) will not result in drastically more bass, it will just tighten it up or add a little bit (or sounds like it added, but the "kick" is more present so it feels like it "added" it when it in fact tightened it up). 

How much did you pay? Were they advertised as NOS? Search for "how to tell counterfeit Sennheiser IE8" on Google and you'll find links to side by side comparisons between the counterfeit and genuine units so you can more easily tell what you got and if you did get a bootleg then file a PayPal case ASAP.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 7
Driver break-in (it's mechanical, so I use the same term as on an engine with moving parts) will not result in drastically more bass, it will just tighten it up or add a little bit (or sounds like it added, but the "kick" is more present so it feels like it "added" it when it in fact tightened it up). 

How much did you pay? Were they advertised as NOS? Search for "how to tell counterfeit Sennheiser IE8" on Google and you'll find links to side by side comparisons between the counterfeit and genuine units so you can more easily tell what you got and if you did get a bootleg then file a PayPal case ASAP.

Thanks for helping,

I bought it for around340USD and i dont think it was advertised as NOS. I check it with that article, and it looks like a real one. However, as i mentioned above, the bass is so bad that i barely feel and hear it. Is it related to burnin time or not. I think I'm returning the product, but i dont think that i would get the money back.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 7
I bought it for around 340USD and i dont think it was advertised as NOS. I check it with that article, and it looks like a real one. However, as i mentioned above, the bass is so bad that i barely feel and hear it. Is it related to burnin time or not.

Are you sure you're getting a good seal with whatever ear tips you're using? I find that the bass on the IE8 is too much for me, and still a bit much more than what I'd like at the minimum setting; it's one thing for a subjective requirement to say "not enough" and another to say of it "barely feel and hear it."

In any case, have you tried other IEMs, preferably bassy ones? Because you won't really "feel" bass in personal audio, especially IEMs, compared to speakers let alone a subwoofer. With my Wharfedale Pacific Pi10 standmounts (driven by a NAD 304) I can sit around 2m away and still feel the bass drum on my chest many rock tracks; and in my car, while my Polk 10in sub is in a compact sealed box, adjusting the subwoofer output gain on my receiver's processor gets that thing setting off car alarms when I drive through a parking building. You won't get the chest-thumping sensation in personal audio because to begin with the air that the transducers will move will in no way hit your chest, and in case you do feel it especially with IEMs, it usually causes a headache (IEMs can seal your ears so well that the pressurized air has no way to go, and then each successive note further presses against that air, and hten your ear drums get torn up like a virtuoso drummer on a worn out snare drum).

I think I'm returning the product, but i dont think that i would get the money back.

What do you mean? You're supposed to get your money back if you return the product, you'll just pay return shipping and restocking fees - even if you file a complaint that it's counterfeit the only way to get out of paying the return shipping is if the seller decides to just let you keep it after filing the PayPal dispute. Either way people who don't have any audio dealers in their area absorb such fees for demoing them at home (or wherever they'll use  them, in the case of portable gear) in lieu of driving 50miles or more to the nearest hi-fi store.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Are you sure you're getting a good seal with whatever ear tips you're using? I find that the bass on the IE8 is too much for me, and still a bit much more than what I'd like at the minimum setting; it's one thing for a subjective requirement to say "not enough" and another to say of it "barely feel and hear it."

In any case, have you tried other IEMs, preferably bassy ones? Because you won't really "feel" bass in personal audio, especially IEMs, compared to speakers let alone a subwoofer. With my Wharfedale Pacific Pi10 standmounts (driven by a NAD 304) I can sit around 2m away and still feel the bass drum on my chest many rock tracks; and in my car, while my Polk 10in sub is in a compact sealed box, adjusting the subwoofer output gain on my receiver's processor gets that thing setting off car alarms when I drive through a parking building. You won't get the chest-thumping sensation in personal audio because to begin with the air that the transducers will move will in no way hit your chest, and in case you do feel it especially with IEMs, it usually causes a headache (IEMs can seal your ears so well that the pressurized air has no way to go, and then each successive note further presses against that air, and hten your ear drums get torn up like a virtuoso drummer on a worn out snare drum).

What do you mean? You're supposed to get your money back if you return the product, you'll just pay return shipping and restocking fees - even if you file a complaint that it's counterfeit the only way to get out of paying the return shipping is if the seller decides to just let you keep it after filing the PayPal dispute. Either way people who don't have any audio dealers in their area absorb such fees for demoing them at home (or wherever they'll use  them, in the case of portable gear) in lieu of driving 50miles or more to the nearest hi-fi store.

Well this is the first one i bought, and it is my mistake to do so. Withiut those experiences, i shouldn't bought an IEM. To tell the truth, my first impression of the thing was an Apple's earpods are better than this. I will try to find the best solution with the issues I'm facing.

Now I'm looking forward to try in-ear headphones. Do you have any recommended one with below350$ mark? Right now I am interested in Klipsch X11. I mainly listen to electronic and pop rock musics.

Thank you for your response

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Well this is the first one i bought, and it is my mistake to do so. Withiut those experiences, i shouldn't bought an IEM. To tell the truth, my first impression of the thing was an Apple's earpods are better than this. I will try to find the best solution with the issues I'm facing.

Well it's not so much that you shouldn't have, but like what I asked above, you might have been comparing personal audio bass to speakers. However if you're now saying that Apple's earpods sound better than these along with your initial problem of them not having any bass, I suppose two other things are possible:

1. The IEMs you got might be broken. Check your options - what's the return policy with the online store you got them from vs Sennheiser's? If it's cheaper and easier to transact with Sennheiser and you've got a bit of time before you have to return them, then register the serial number, then see what Sennheiser's replacement warranty is. By registering the serial number you'd also be able to check if it's counterfeit, which will be better when you have to file for the PayPal dispute as opposed to just a "I looked at the photos on this page and what I got looks dubious" (and as it is, they don't). With any luck Sennheiser might actually give you an IE80.

2. You're not getting a good seal. This is where experience with IEMs can be important - some people can't tell if they're getting a good seal or not and it's hard for us to validate that since it's not total silence in most cases (if it were then it would be a lot easier; although I had no trouble determining that when I first bought one), not to mention ambient noise isn't uniform. Have you tried all the tips in the package With all of them have you pushed in as deep as they can go? At the very least with every tip you try you have to jump and flop around to test if they're getting a good grip in your ear canal. If they can't stay in that way, it's highly likely they aren't getting a good seal either, barring a lot of sweat in your ears when you start the test (maybe wipe down your ears between each ear tip?).

I bought it for around 340USD and i dont think it was advertised as NOS.

Just remembered something - the IE80 is now being sold for $260 or thereabouts, and you can always just order the IE8i cable direct from Sennheiser. You can consider returning those and then just ordering the IE80 and IE8i talk cable for $35.

Sennheiser IE80 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-IE80-Headphone/dp/B005N8W27I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428391560&sr=8-1&keywords=IE80

Sennheiser part finder link (just search for IE8i)
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support-part-finder

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Just remembered something - the IE80 is now being sold for $260 or thereabouts, and you can always just order the IE8i cable direct from Sennheiser. You can consider returning those and then just ordering the IE80 and IE8i talk cable for $35.

Sennheiser IE80 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-IE80-Headphone/dp/B005N8W27I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428391560&sr=8-1&keywords=IE80

Sennheiser part finder link (just search for IE8i)
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support-part-finder

I will try again whether i got a good seal. i looked at that deal in amazon before, but sadly they dont ship overseas so i cannot order one.

thank you very much for assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back