Need Help with iBasso D1 hookups--Apple MacBook Pro
Aug 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Timber Man

New Head-Fier
Just got my iBasso D1 this morning, shipped from China.

Packed well.

I have a MacBook Pro laptop.I have a problem hooking up the USB to the Apple. Called the Apple tech people and he said just use theheadphone out.

I said that was un-acceptable and there must be a way to send (all audio) to the USB port? cable.

Anybody have an idea, because Richard at Apple care does not have a clue?

regards,

Timber Man

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 11
I had the same problem and thought it was an issue but you just have to set the Mac up to accept the new device. I can't remember how right now so I will go into preferences and figure it out and get right back.

When you connect a USB out to the Mac, you must go
into system preferences: sound and select output. The
DAC should be listed, and you've got to select that.
Make sure your phones aren't plugged into the Mac.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Jamato -----GOT IT, IT WORKS, SOUNDS GOOD.----Thanks, thanks

Once you said perferences, it was a piece of cake.

Again,
thanks a lot.

Regards,

Timber man

This forum is habit forming. Did not have an idea about all this two weeks ago. Just had my Sony cd3000 ten years old hooked up to a DVD.

Now I am having amps flown in from China and thinking about UE 10 pro's

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Make sure that you have the system volume and iTunes volume at maximum to achieve the highest signal to noise ratio through the DAC. Also check the settings in the Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities Folder to make sure they are correct.

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 11
The Apple tech people may be right. The Macbook Pro has a optical digital out. See the specs for the laptop under Audio:
Audio
Combined optical digital input/audio line in (minijack)
Combined optical digital output/headphone out (minijack)

You'll need a mini-TOS link or adapter to connect to a SPDIF (e.g. on the iBasso D1).

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 11
I use the headphone jack w/ adapter (i.e. optical out) from my MacBook Pro to my EMU 0404 USB and prefer it to the USB. To me, it's more efficient and actually sounds better.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 11
I can't do that with my PowerBook G4. I don't really like the USB out very much. The sound seems artificial and a little metalic. Maybe I need to let it run for a while. The sound is very different from the optical out of my Sony portable cd player.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't do that with my PowerBook G4.

Upgraditus? I got lucky because I need the new Final Cut Pro for my job so work had to provide the upgrade.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the headphone jack w/ adapter (i.e. optical out) from my MacBook Pro to my EMU 0404 USB and prefer it to the USB. To me, it's more efficient and actually sounds better.

I tried to use the optical out monster cable that I had hooked up to my Airport Express, but got a bunch of noise and intermittent connection. What cable are you using? I'd prefer that over USB, as it does seem artificial.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Problem solved, I guess my cable was bad. Bought a replacement, and no more intermittent issues or static.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back