Need help with iAudio X5 and Rockbox
Jan 26, 2007 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jeffreybar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm trying to get rockbox installed on this thing and can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong (I'm sure it's something simple, like always)...I downloaded the latest build and unzipped it to the root directory of the player's hard drive and rebooted, but the Cowon firmware is still coming up. What step am I missing?

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, that was the problem at first -- a little misleading, since it says something in the manual to the effect of "the installation of the bootloader is for the moment only for developers". So I wasn't sure at first...but actually by the time I wrote that I had installed the bootloader as well.

The problem turned out to be that the subpack wasn't plugged in -- I forgot that it won't update the firmware without being plugged in.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 4
Welcome to Rockbox. Here are my crossfeed settings which I arrived at after much tinkering and which I believe to be better than the defaults which I put in brackets. (It's still very noticable - it moves everything forward nicely but doesn't mess with the frequencies or centre stage nearly as much):

Crossfeed:
direct gain -0.5dB (was -1.5dB)
Cross gain -6.5dB (was -6.0dB)
High frequency attentuation -6.5dB (was -16dB)
High frequency cutoff 700 HZ (same)

Crossfeed is one of the best features of Rockbox. Also if you have scanned for Replaygain in Foobar, set Replaygain under General/Play Settings to "Track gain if shuffling". That gives you album gain normally and track gain in shuffle. You can walk around for hours and never touch the volume.

Okay, that's my gift. And in return if you could resurrect this thread at some point and let us know how it affected your battery life, that would be very cool. That's the downside with an iPod. It's not so bad if you listen to albums or playlists but if you browse around it's like a wino at the bottle. I think that the Cowan may be better. I would like to know.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back