Need Help With Gumsticks!! Sanyo replacements don't work in my D777!
Jun 30, 2003 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
I received new gumsticks for my D-777 (HF-A1U industrial batteries, from tnrtechnical.com) These are the "equivalent" to Sony NH-14WM. However, the body of the battery is a tiny bit taller, so that the contact point ("bump") on the positive side of the battery is almost flush (does not stick up as much as the Sony NH-14WM that I am replacing). After trying the new batteries with no luck, I noticed in the battery compartment on the D-777 that the contact points on each positive side are recessed (interestingly, in a different way for each side), so that the nearly flush contact point on the new batteries does not contact the metal in the compartment. I can pry the metal out slightly on the right side, but on the left side this does not seem possible.

So, I am guessing that this is a way to force people to buy the ridiculously overpriced Sony batteries (which are "customized" with a taller contact point to fit in the compartment)
rolleyes.gif
????

My question (finally) is: Has anyone found a way to use batteries other than the Sonys in the D-777? (Ones from minidisco.com or iriveramerica.com, for example). I am wondering if "branded" Sanyos or Panasonics might have the same configuration as the original Sonys, as opposed to the "industrial" ones I bought, with no label. (Shot in the dark here, I know)

Any help is appreciated!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Haoleb: Thanks for the advice. I was thinkning of trying something like that, but I was also wondering if there were batteries that fit properly, other than the original Sony NH-14WM. A lot of people on here have this player, and it is old, so numerous people must have replaced these batteries. Figured some would have tried batteries that are less expensive than the $20 each (!) Sonys.

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 7
OK, so I stuck some solder wire in between each battery and the contact plate. The charge light started blinking when I hit charge this time! Woohoo! HOWEVER, a piece got loose when I took the batteries out, and is now rattling inside the player!
mad.gif

Can I take the screws out of the bottom of the player and safely take the cover off? Is there something I should be aware/careful of if I attempt this? I just got this player and I don't want to ruin it already!

Also, the batteries lasted less than an hour. I left them charging in the player when I went to sleep. Does anyone know why this might be? (They are brand spanking new gumsticks). Is it possible the solder makes too much of a connection and too much current is drawn...or something?

Jul 2, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 7
If you are not afraid of taking apart your D-777, you might try replacing Sony's contact with a more generic spring kind or perhaps you could solder a short piece of relatively heavy gauge solid copper wire (maybe 12 or 10 gauge) to the terminal. This might make a nice player mod (to enable the use of less expensive, non-proprietary batteries).

I suppose you could also try soldering the short piece of wire the battery terminal (after sanding it well) to extend it, but I've never had much luck soldering directly to batteries and the heat might damage its sensitive internal chemistry. You would definitely want to use the lowest temperature solder you could find.

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Haoleb
i dont know if i would want to take the player apart. but a peice of wire inside rattling around probbly isint good. could short something out or something.

Taking the D777 apart is easy, even to a novice like me, i've done it several times...

with the chassis open, you will see that it is very easy to maybe attach a spring, or other retainer onto the clip with a blob of solder, in which case... problem solved
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree though, having a piece of metal rattling around inside definetly does NOT sound like a good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back