Need help with getting bit-perfect for 1212m + winamp
Jan 12, 2007 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

p997tt

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I just received my first external DAC - a CIAudio VDA2. So for several hours I have been trying to get bit perfect out from my EMU 1212m but I still don't get it.

I am now using winamp with ASIO (out_asio(dll).dll) and the coaxial digital out from the EMU. The ASIO mixer strip works (I made this strip solo and sound still comes through). Volume control in winamp doesn't work but for some reason the volume controls in Patchmix still work (both volume controls in Main Mix window and the ASIO strip). Also when I tested out a DTS file from http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html, all I could I hear is noise.

From what I read, I should be hearing music from the DTS file if I get bit perfect out. So I was wondering if I am doing something wrong here? Also are the volume sliders supposed to work in Patchmix? Resampling has been disabled in the ASIO config in winamp and all DSP effects are off.

I have been googling and reading several different forums including here but still couldn't figure out what to do. It'd be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some help. Thanks!

PS. I would love to try it out with Foobar too since that's what I've been using for the last couple of years. But starting from last week, it always freezes when it launches. I changed no settings and added nothing new.
confused.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 5
I believe the 1212M doesnt support DTS, so that may be why youre not getting proper playback of the said DTS file. Im not positive about this, so somebody correct me if Im wrong.

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 5
External DACs do not support DTS in general. That is a feature you find on some receivers.

To get bit-perfect sound from the E-MU you need to have the sound come straight from the ASIO source not from the mixer (naturally) so put a send in the asio strip to the relevant output.

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
External DACs do not support DTS in general. That is a feature you find on some receivers.

To get bit-perfect sound from the E-MU you need to have the sound come straight from the ASIO source not from the mixer (naturally) so put a send in the asio strip to the relevant output.

Thanks for the help! Now none of the volume controls in Patchmix works which I think is a good sign.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also it's good to know that I'm not supposed to hear proper music from the DTS files with my current setup.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by p997tt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help! Now none of the volume controls in Patchmix works which I think is a good sign.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also it's good to know that I'm not supposed to hear proper music from the DTS files with my current setup.

I don't know about you, but I cannot hear one bit of difference when I insert a send in the ASIO strip. When you have all of the pertinent sliders set to 0.0 in patchmix it should be the exact same thing and also should be bit-perfect even without the send in the ASIO strip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back