Need help with Foobar2000.
Jan 28, 2008 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys i'm having some trouble adding my media to the foobar library. i go to options and media library, and then add the folders i want to be in my library. i press scan. and save all and exit the preferences menu, but my library still doesn't show up in my playlist. what's the deal? i restarted foobar, i rescanned the folders, readded, nothing...the playlist still stays empty.

what i want is that on startup for all my songs to stay in foobar, so i don't have to keep readding the folders in which there is music. also, i hate it when you play a file, for example you just downloaded it, and it wipes out your playlist, and then you have to re-add the music to your playlist. in winamp, once i added media to my library, it would always stay there.

need some advice here guys. i thought if anyone knew, they would be here. thanks in advance.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 22
You still have to add the folder of your library to a playlist. It should then remain in that playlist. When you play a new download it is likely it is showing in a new playlist and the one you had before is still there at a different tab. The library designation is to a database for album list, sidebars, searches, etc, and does not create a playlist.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 22
Yeah, I'm assuming you mean your songs don't show up in the Library panel after adding them.

Are your files on the local PC, or do you map a network drive to get to them? I was having the same problem and then I discovered that Foobar will not open the drive itself, even if you have it permanently mapped on your computer. You have to open windows explorer and browse to that drive in order to open the connection, then Foobar will work.

If it's not that, then I don't know.

As for creating a new playlist every time you add, that shouldn't happen unless you want it to. There are two options when you right click on a song or album, send to playlist and add to playlist. If you want to work off a single playlist then always use the "add" option. If you choose "send" it will create a new playlist.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You still have to add the folder of your library to a playlist. It should then remain in that playlist. When you play a new download it is likely it is showing in a new playlist and the one you had before is still there at a different tab. The library designation is to a database for album list, sidebars, searches, etc, and does not create a playlist.

that's what i WANT it to do. but it doesn't. instead, when i play a new song that's say on my desktop, it will play in the open playlist at the time (say my music library is in that playlist), it will wipe out the playlist and just show that one song. now if i want my playlist back, i have to go to file and load the playlist again. it is very annoying and it doesn't happen in winamp.

if song opened in a new tab that would solve the problem. im not talking about playing songs from the playlist. i'm talking about an individual file that i double click on in a folder or on the desktop. this file should open in a new playlist and NOT my music library playlist (which wipes out the music library playlist). i dunno my dilemma is pretty simple, somehow explaining it in words makes it seem more complicated than it is.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyWest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm assuming you mean your songs don't show up in the Library panel after adding them.

Are your files on the local PC, or do you map a network drive to get to them? I was having the same problem and then I discovered that Foobar will not open the drive itself, even if you have it permanently mapped on your computer. You have to open windows explorer and browse to that drive in order to open the connection, then Foobar will work.

If it's not that, then I don't know.

As for creating a new playlist every time you add, that shouldn't happen unless you want it to. There are two options when you right click on a song or album, send to playlist and add to playlist. If you want to work off a single playlist then always use the "add" option. If you choose "send" it will create a new playlist.

files are on the local pc. btw i don't see those options when i right click a song/album. i remember i used to have them before when i replaced foobar with winamp. i also didn't have my current problem with foobar before since i had someone else's setup, it was excellent, looked good, and functioned well. i can't find that anymore.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 22
Not sure if this is what you want, but try this:
  1. Go to File -> Preferences -> General
  2. In the Commandline groupbox, select 'Enqueue incoming files by default when adding from commandline'

Once this is done then whenever you double-click on a file it will append it to your existing playlist.

Or try selecting 'Always send to playlist' and enter a name that's different from your carefully sorted playlist.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 22
thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif
i'm going to try this but i'm pretty sure that's going to work for me. i didn't know that option existed in foobar. (or i knew it had to be within that encyclopedia of options)

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 22
Once you have scanned your library, the library tree will be populated. For convenience sake you can use a Library tree panel, and right click on "All Music" and hit send to playlist. This way, you don't have to manually add all your songs everytime to the playlist, it just maps the tree onto the currently selected playlist. When you make changes to your folders though, you have to rescan your library, which does take some time...but you can clear the playlist and hit send to playlist again and you will get the updated list.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 22
ah ok. sounds good.

uh oh, another problem. now say i have my songs on shuffle in my playlist. when it switches to the next song, the windows doesn't switch position to show the area of the next song, rather it just stays where it is, displaying songs that aren't playing. this is a very basic thing that i would expect every player to do automatically, but it's not happening in this, so i'm thinking there must be some option that hasn't been selected.

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 22
bump, read above post please.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 22
that fixed it, thanks again.

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 22
If you havent already tried it, try giving the Fofr configuration a shot, (FofR Version 0.9)

Foobar2000 Blog » Configurations

It does take a little effort to install all components and customize, but if you are the type who has album art for all albums and likes a more graphical interface, then this is a really nifty looking config. Check out the screenshots on the link and see if you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back