Need help with fixing vintage DT990
Jan 30, 2023 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Enolaa

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have owned a DT990 from I believe 1987 for a couple years now, and lately it has caused me issues. I hear a lot of static in the left ear, and the cable feels finnicky, dropping sound depending on if I'm touching it or not, as well as its position.
I opened it up, and this is what it looks like. I have tried unsoldering the wires but they are surprisingly uncooperative, and my best efforts haven't been able to desolder them. I would love to get some advice, as I am a complete newbie and frankly quite bad at DIY.
Thanks in advance.
IMG_20230122_142153.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 3
First let the soldering iron heat up as high as it will go. So let it cook for a couple of minutes before using it.
Then add a small blob of solder to the end of the iron tip before trying to melt the connection.
The extra solder should help it to melt faster.

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 3
First let the soldering iron heat up as high as it will go. So let it cook for a couple of minutes before using it.
Then add a small blob of solder to the end of the iron tip before trying to melt the connection.
The extra solder should help it to melt faster.
That's pretty much what I tried, but it seems like the solder really didn't want to melt..
Thanks for the pointer though, will try again later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back