Need help with fixing Sennheiser 600 DIY cable
May 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. A couple months back I tried to build myself a replacement cable for my Sennheiser HD 600s. I used a Neutrik connector, Mogami 2534 cables, and the Cardas Sennheiser connectors. Most of it went well except for the soldering job on the Cardas connectors. The sound cuts out due to a poor connection and I can't fix it anymore because it has been sealed with epoxy.

I'm thinking about ordering another pair or Cardas connectors but I'm worried about ruining another pair since they are quite pricey. Is there anyone providing repair services for a fee? The cable is pretty much fine except for the Cardas part.

May 13, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Dont epoxy the connections in. Simple.

If you get creative with heat-shrink you should be able to provide decent strain releif while making the thing reparable if it does ever go wonky again.

May 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm still worried about soldering it because I had quite a hard time even though I tried it a few times. The connectors are difficult to work with and it's very easy to deform the connectors through heat. I don't have all the parts needed either like the heat shrink tubing. I'd feel better at this point if I could find someone experienced with these Cardas connectors fix it up.

May 14, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 6
BTW, what are some creative ways with the heat shrink? I've read recommendations to use adhesive heat shrink for a good strain relief but I can't imagine that being easy to remove.

May 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
hot glue + heatshrink

That's what I did with the cables I've made. Hot glue is easier to deal with than epoxy, but it's still quite troublesome.

You can use the heatshrink to hold the cable from moving near the connector areas. Perhaps put a few layers of heatshrink over the cable part, solder the connectors, then put another layer or two of heatshrink over the connector and the thickened cable area letting it go a bit past. I don't know if that's very clear, I can make a picture if you're curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back