Need help with first headphone purchase!
Jun 22, 2004 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mektarus

500+ Head-Fier
HELP!
confused.gif
I have been hanging around Head-Fi for awhile now and am finally ready to take the plunge. However, with nowhere locally to audition any audiophile grade equipment, and so many options to choose from, I need HELP!! I have compiled the following list of headphones that seem well regarded and fit in my price range (some are new, some are used). I listen to a wide variety of music (rock, trip-hop, classical, folk, instrumental) so I would like a good all-purpose set of cans. I don't care is they are open or closed, and they don't need to be portable, I am simply looking for the best all around headphones to start my addiction (err..collection) with. I know that there are probably some very good headphones that I have left of the list so please feel free to make additional recommendations as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AKG K240
AKG K401
Alessandro MS-1
ATH A500
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Pioneer SE-Monitor10r
Sennheiser HD280 Pro (or Silver, what's the difference?)
Sennheiser HD555

Thanks!

P.S. - I should add that $130 is the most I would have to spend for any of the above mentioned headphones and that is my upper limit.

Jun 22, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 30
Out of that list, I would look at:
AKG K240 Studio
Alessandro MS1
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Sennheiser HD555

You might also want to look into the Beyerdynamic DT531, if you can find it.

Jun 22, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 30
The AKG k240s is a very versatile phone with a good soundstage, deep bass and extended highs. It will improve noticeably with an amp- some say that it needs an amp, but with its low impedance, you could easily drive it without one until you can afford it.

The price is excellent, considering that you can easily find them online for $100. Like all phones, they need to burn in though. If you decide to try them, give them at least 100 hours for the bass to become properly defined.

I've read alot of good things here on Head-Fi about all the cans that ReDVsion has selected from your list. I don't think you can go wrong in general with any of those four, but you'll have to find what sounds best to your ears.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
I notice that there are three versions of the K240, the K240S, the K240M and the K240DF. What's the difference and which should I be looking for?

Thanks!

The only one to consider is the k240s. It is the lower impedance version, allowing it to be run from a greater variety of amps/headphone outs.

Jun 22, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 30
How do the K240s and the K401 differ/compare? Also, where can I find DT531's? Also also, do any of the headphones mentioned in this thread "need" an amp?

Thanks everyone! Keep the good info coming!!

Jun 23, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 30
I'd say A500, only because it's the only one i have tried out of those
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 30
A co-worker asked today what I'd recommend for $100-$150, and I said MS1, 240S and 555. Haven't heard all your selections, but those were my three. For sound (and across musical genres/general purpose phones), I especially like the MS1 and 240S (both great deals for $100), but the Senns aren't far behind (for $50 more, which likely puts it outside your limit), and their build quality and comfort is nothing to ignore. Many instrument/guitar shops have the 240S to try out, and a store carrying a Grado or two can often be found in urban areas. I'd start with these two, then try the HD555s and move from there. If the A500 (never heard it) is similar to the A900, I'd also move that up near the top of your list, but if it's closer in overall quality to the CD780, I'd stick to the above three choices first.

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 30
Okay, so far I've eliminated the K401's and HD280's from my list of potential purchases but have added the DT531/DT440 (if I can find them). This is torturously difficult and I don't really feel any closer to making a decision. I think I might be leaning toward something with at least a little isolation. Which would definitely rule out the MS-1's and probably the HD555's. Can anyone comment on the isolation of any of the other cans? Does anyone else have any insight on the best headphone for a nooB who wants a good all around performer?

Thanks!
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back