Need help with finding closed, circumaural headphones, mainly for electronic music for less than $100
Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Bigbob8

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in finding a pair of circumaural headphones now that I don't want to listen with IEMs anymore. I usually use the Monoprice IEMs, but I want to start listening with closed, over-ear headphones.

I'm interested in listening with the Sony MDR-7506, which was highly recommended by The Wirecutter:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

I used to listen to music with the Shure SRH840, but they leak sound at the volume I listen to, which is at a barely normal volume, and they also lack deep bass. I was thinking about selling them and buy the 7506, but there might be some other recommendations.

I mainly listen to electronic music such as Daft Punk, Tycho, and Boards of Canada, but I also listen to other genres except dubstep and country. Classical music is another favorite (mainly for studying). 

Sound isolation should be exceptional; I used to listen to the Bose IE2s, but their noise isolation is abysmal. Sound quality was decent, however.

The price range is less than $100.

What headphones for me would be recommended? Please help!

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:
I'm interested in finding a pair of circumaural headphones now that I don't want to listen with IEMs anymore. I usually use the Monoprice IEMs, but I want to start listening with closed, over-ear headphones.

I'm interested in listening with the Sony MDR-7506, which was highly recommended by The Wirecutter:

I used to listen to music with the Shure SRH840, but they leak sound at the volume I listen to, which is at a barely normal volume, and they also lack deep bass. I was thinking about selling them and buy the 7506, but there might be some other recommendations.

I mainly listen to electronic music such as Daft Punk, Tycho, and Boards of Canada, but I also listen to other genres except dubstep and country. Classical music is another favorite (mainly for studying). 

Sound isolation should be exceptional; I used to listen to the Bose IE2s, but their noise isolation is abysmal. Sound quality was decent, however.

The 840's leak? Make sure you aren't ruining your hearing, but agree they are very bass light. I would suggest Beyer DT770's but you said under $100, maybe the Creative Aurvana LIVE! or M-Audio Q40's?

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 39
I should have added that the bass should be detailed, not boomy; I looked at the Sony MDR-XB500, and they have punchy bass, but the treble and mids are recessed. Plus, they leak some sound, even at low volumes.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 39
If you think that 840 leak, you will probably need on-ears. I mean, SRH840 is a rather non-leaky full size headphone. If you find them to leak sound, you will need something with intense clamping or just find an on ear.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 39
Even 7056 that you planned on buying leaks more than 840. However, you can mod the 7056 to have very punchy bass with still superb clarity and detail with good mid/treble presence. Look at my signature(multi headphone review) for modded V6(same as 7056) vs stock V6.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

What source(s) would you be plugging the headphones into?

Headphone wise, I think the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000), $85, is as good as any $100 headphone.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:
HD25 ii, if you can find one used for $100 or CAL.

HD25's aren't circumaural
Quote:
Are there any recommendations for portable amps for under $100? I looked at many FiiO products, but I'd like to see some other brands that also make affordable amps.

There's Cmoys, iBasso stuff my issue is that Fiio is the only one with EQ, a hold button, off timmer etc. id just go Fiio, E07 or E17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back