Need help with finding a suitable set of headphones
Jun 4, 2014 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AudioPerplexed

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm quite perplexed with all the options there are for headphones, so I'm looking for help with selecting a set. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

So, some information:

I purchased the Audio-Technica M30 headphones recently, but was unfortunately rather disappointed by them. I liked the sound quality, but I was really taken aback at how incredibly uncomfortable they were.

I think the primary issue is that I was looking for circumaural/over-ear headphones, and the M30s (while being described as circumaural) are closer to supra-aural (at least in my case - I had to manually push my ears into them to use them as circumaural headphones).

My previous set of headphones was the Sony MDR-XD200 (which broke after five or so years) - I really liked the comfort of the XD200s, and I'd like to find something similar in a new pair of headphones. I'm guessing that would entail large, deep, and circular earpads.

I listen to a wide range of music, but focus mostly on classical and choral music, if that helps with making a recommendation.

Portability isn't really a concern (e.g. they don't have to fold, no preference for cord length (within reason), size isn't an issue, etc). 99% of the time I will be using them on my desktop computer. Either closed or semi-open is okay. The styling/appearance matters very little to me.

I paid $39 for the M30s on Amazon, but around $50 would be my upward limit (though, if you'd like to recommend a higher-priced set, that's okay, too - I'll keep it in mind for the future).

Any comments, suggestions, and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 12
I would consider stretching your budget to get the ATH-M50. You can order some aftermarket pads for them to increase the comfort (im pretty sure they are the same shape as the M30) Shure 840 pads and HM5 pads fit them nicely, and they go for fairly cheap (less than $20 shipped).

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 12
This is an excellent price for the M50 with a straight, non-coiled cable. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/721271/fs-audio-technica-m50-m50s-black-closed-back-headphones-w-all-original-accessories-and-box

He has the Shure 840 pads that he can throw in for $10, I would barter with him and say you'd buy the pads and headphones for $80, he has bumped the ad a couple times and probably just wants them sold by now.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 12
I think you might actually really like the AKG K240 Studio, considering your musical preferences. They are very clean with a slightly warm and thick tilt with very extended treble for their price. They're also semi-open so the soundstage is much wider than the Audio Technica models, and on Amazon they run around $70. Very much worth the price. I own a pair and I love mine.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 12
  I would consider stretching your budget to get the ATH-M50. You can order some aftermarket pads for them to increase the comfort (im pretty sure they are the same shape as the M30) Shure 840 pads and HM5 pads fit them nicely, and they go for fairly cheap (less than $20 shipped).

Do you by chance know how deep those pads are? I went out to try on some headphones and found the ones that are circular (and circumaural) and are around 1" deep at the back are the most comfortable. Unfortunately the most comfortable ones were $250 or so.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 12
  This is an excellent price for the M50 with a straight, non-coiled cable. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/721271/fs-audio-technica-m50-m50s-black-closed-back-headphones-w-all-original-accessories-and-box

He has the Shure 840 pads that he can throw in for $10, I would barter with him and say you'd buy the pads and headphones for $80, he has bumped the ad a couple times and probably just wants them sold by now.

Those look like a good deal, but it seems the seller won't ship to my country. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 12
  I think you might actually really like the AKG K240 Studio, considering your musical preferences. They are very clean with a slightly warm and thick tilt with very extended treble for their price. They're also semi-open so the soundstage is much wider than the Audio Technica models, and on Amazon they run around $70. Very much worth the price. I own a pair and I love mine.

Is it possible for you to measure the inside diameter of the pads (assuming they're circular) as well as the depth of the pads? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 12

Is it possible for you to measure the inside diameter of the pads (assuming they're circular) as well as the depth of the pads? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

They're really more of an oval shape. 4 1/16" x 3 3/4" x ~1". I just happened to have them sitting on my counter.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 12
Since no one has suggested it yet, I thought I'd throw the Sennheiser HD518s out there.  They're technically open, but they don't leak much, and they do block a fair amount of sound.  They're extremely comfortable (huge ear cups) and would work with your genre's very well. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Well I guess I've had mine on my pair of T50RPs for a little bit now, so my memory of the original shape has altered a little. But yes, I'm sure that currently they're the dimensions I posted.

This shows that the shape is easy to manipulate though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back