Need help with FiiO Q3 please...
Dec 31, 2022 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sigur Ros

New Head-Fier
1) Just bought a manuf. refurbished Q3 on eBay. (Reg, not MQA).
I tried hooking it up to my phone by plugging in from USB-C to USB-C.
Got no sound through headphones, but phone speaker was working instead.
If I missed a step I would appreciate the help. The instructions are worthless.
Do I need to upgrade firmware? (trying to figure out how to do that as I write this).

2) Also, I have a Pioneer XDP-100R that only has a micro-USB out, and a headphone out.
Is it possible, if I get the right cable, to run out of the Pioneer with Micro-USB, into the Q3 with USB-C, and out to my headphones and use it as a DAC/Amp ?

I attached an image of the specs for the Pioneer.

Thanks for any help!

3) Bonus Question: I just ordered Senn HD6XX.... will this drive those 300 ohms or will I need better ?

Attachments

• XDP-100R.png
    XDP-100R.png
    327.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 31, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 8
I tried hooking it up to my phone by plugging in from USB-C to USB-C.

Does it work from any other device via USB C?

Is this an Android phone? If so, you can enable Developer Options if it isn't already by tapping multiple times on your build number. (Settings, System, About, Software)

Then in Developer Options, there's a USB configuration and option for audio routing. I wouldn't play around with anything you don't understand.

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Does it work from any other device via USB C?

Is this an Android phone? If so, you can enable Developer Options if it isn't already by tapping multiple times on your build number. (Settings, System, About, Software)

Then in Developer Options, there's a USB configuration and option for audio routing. I wouldn't play around with anything you don't understand.
When I plug it into my PC it works perfectly fine.
Yes, Android. Samsung S22+
In Developer Options I couldn't find anything helpful. Just the screenshots attached.

Was hoping to see something about USB audio.

Can't even find a video or article explaining how to connect a DAC to the phone. The most basic part of all this as I venture into portable amps :frowning2:
Frustrating.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101_104312_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101_104312_Settings.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230101_105421_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101_105421_Email.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Try toggling "Disable USB audio routing" with the FiiO connected.

If still no luck, try the HiBy Music App temporarily--it has options under settings for exclusive USB audio access plus a ton of other options, and it's free.

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 8
So.. when I went back and plugged the amp in, it worked. The only thing I did was turn on Developer mode as you suggested.
No idea why that changed things, but it seemed to.

I appreciate the help very much.

The Q3 is a bit underwhelming though. Not sure these would drive 300 ohms. Did fine with my 32 ohm DT770s but so did my phone.

If this doesn't work with, and help, the Pioneer DAP then I'll be dumping it anyway.
I know it's a dated amp, but is there someplace you know where I could go discuss and ask questions?
Somewhere more active, I mean.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 8
You could try finding the impressions thread, if there is one. If not, FiiO is a sponsor--on their sponsor page, they should list active members and their recent posts. They might know better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back