Need help with DT-990 PRO vs. HD600
Mar 5, 2010 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gav007

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there! I'm not really new to the forum since I am here regularly looking at reviews; however, I haven't signed up until now since I need some help. I'm looking to make a headphone upgrade between the Beyerdynamics DT-990 PRO and the Sennheiser HD600. I can get the DT-990 PRO locally for $219cdn, but for the HD600 it will cost me $350usd. The problem I am having is deciding which is best for my use based on value. I listen mostly to rock, alternative, hip-hop, r&b, pop and vocals and my setup right now would be on a lenovo t60 laptop with a mini3. I am planning to get a gamma1 to go with my mini, but would that combo even be enough to power these headphones to their potentials? If they do, which of these two headphones is better suited for me?

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 12
For the genres you listed, I'd go with the DT990's. I've never heard the DT990 Pro's, but I can't imagine them being different enough from the 2005 version to justify changing this recommendation.

The DT990's have this really fun sound signature. There's a ton of bass and this sort of sizzling treble. The mids are a bit recessed. The bass is definitely suitable for hip-hop, r&b, and lots of pop. The biggest weakness of the DT990's, imo, is in some vocals. They're just not emphasized quite as much as I'd like.

The HD600's have this more pleasant sound signature. They're overall very smooth & balanced. I think they work well for all genres, but they definitely work the best for classical, vocals & jazz. Rock plays well, but the DT990's just have a more musical sound overall. Value-wise, the DT990's destroy the HD600's at the prices you listed.
(btw, if you're willing to spend the extra $$$, b&H has a fantastic sale on the DT990 Premium 600ohms. It would be about $25 usd more than the Pro's)

I don't know how well a mini3 would drive either headphone. I'm actually curious about this as well.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 12
Hmmm... thanks for the suggestion I really appreciate it, I'm leaning towards the DT-990 PRO 250 Ohm now that I saw a price drop to $180cdn at my local store. I just need to know if the mini3\gamma1 can power them to their full potential?

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 12
I totally agree with Octava's description of the DT990 Pros, which I have and like very much, except for their somewhat recessed vocals. Otherwise, pretty darn fun cans.

I'm using an EMU1820 audio interface, straight out of the headphone jack. Now, to my knowledge, this is hardly a good headphone amp. I'm going to be buying a dedicated amp once Little Dot has their stuff back in stock. It sounds pretty good through this EMU interface though. I'm curious if the new amp will make much of a difference.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 12
I would still pay the extra cash to get the DT 990 premium 600ohm that are on sale for $236, provided that you get a nice, powerful (preferably) tube amp. The DT880 are more neutral, revealing and have less bass and as a result, have more prominent, detailed mids. I would personally get the DT880 over the DT990 any day (because they seem to be more of what I am looking for), if they were no more than $60 apart. If they were more than this, I would wait for a sale or a pair of used in the FS forum
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 12
I haven't spent much time with the HD600 so all I will say about those is that I found them to be very smooth, great for jazz and classical. I also enjoyed them with rock, but found that I enjoyed the more aggressive sound of my DT 990 (2005 consumer version 250 ohm). That said, you should definitely take this opinion with a few grains of salt. I have only tested the HD600 for a short time a couple times, and my ears were unaccustomed to their sound, unlike with my DT990s.

As far as what model of DT990 to get, I have only used my 250 ohm, 2005 consumer version. I find that they sound better out of my amp (it does a very good job of cutting the sibilance I experience without it) than directly out of my computer, but they still sound reasonable without the amp. Don't worry about volume, I have never found that to be a problem with these cans.

On another note, while I have not experienced this myself, I have seen other head-fiers say that the consumer version sounds better than the pro version because the pro only comes in the 2003 version which supposedly doesn't sound as good. This is all just based on what I have read though, so read some reviews and comparisons and make up your own mind!
Threads discussing the differences can be found by using the search function, but here are a couple to get you started:
dt990 pro compared to dt990
DT990 Pro and DT 990 Consumer

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 12
I would go for the HD600 every time, but considering the price difference you cite, it makes the decision a bit harder. The money saved could be invested in a good source/amp and can make the DT990 Pro potentially sound better than an unamped HD600.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 12
My Beyer 990 pro is pretty power hungry, but I really, really like the sound signature, and it works okay with a range of amplification. I haven't had much experience with the Senns, but for those genres, I think you'll probably be happy with the Beyers, especially for that price.

Thank goodness there's one company that sells in Canada for a reasonable price.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for all the replies, I have another question for you guys are the DT-990 durable? From the pictures they don't look as durable as my Shure SRH440. Also, I read somewhere that people have blown the speakers within the headphones, has anyone have that happen? I tend to listen to my music at about 50-60% loud, hopefully they last. I guess the mini^3 can't power them, so I'll use them on my NAD T762 Receiver for movies and gaming, but if I were to use them on my laptop for music, would an Corda Headsix amp be able to power them to their potential?

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 12
i would recommend hd600 over dt990 pro. it's better for all-around purpose.
when i had dt990, it was a fun pair of cans but it was not suitable for many genres due to its recessed mids and excessive highs.
$350 USD for hd600? isnt that even more than the price of brand new hd650?
you can usually find a used pair of hd600 for less than $250 (i once got a mint pair for $195) on the forums here.

btw, hd600 is more power hungry than dt990 (except the 600ohm version). in my experience, dt990 of 250ohm and under were not that difficult to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back