Need help with DAC and headphone amp
Aug 1, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #47 of 75
I would just focus on the sound signature your looking for rather than what pairs with the M&M as it is a fairly neutral setup and will run many different headphones. I would probably start another thread as you will get more suggestions on the matter which is not always a good thing ; )

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #49 of 75
And the HE-400i ,HE-400S and Grado SR225e or RS2e just to name a few others.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #50 of 75
Yeah, probably. Most, if not all of them, stupidly expensive in Norway :p

But if we use the DT990 as a starting point, which headphones would offer the same fast and punchy bass, but with a little bit better mids and a kinder less sibilant treble?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #51 of 75
That's what I hear sorry. There is also Soundmagic HP 150 or 151 really nice for the price. I think the 151 is just a better build. Something to look at though. Also can't go wrong with the HD-650's to be sure that is why they are recommended so often.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #52 of 75
I'm definitely not excluding the HD650, all though they are $345 here. Actually cheaper than the HD600. The only "problem" I have with them, is that I've gotten the impression that they are kind of good for everything, but not really great for anything? Bear with me please. English is not my first language and I'm not used to express myself in it.

The Soundmagic HP 150 are available in Norway for $278, but build quality wise, they seem kind of "meh".

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #53 of 75
i think that depends. I think the 650's are good but only with certain amps that I have. I can't stand them from the Chord Mojo as I think it is too warm for them but from a Bottlehead Crack they are great. They are not for everyone I guess but many find them very good even with the highs rolled off and very little soundstage. Was at a meet two weeks ago and took my Crack and many that own the 650's have not heard them from the Crack and all agree they haven't heard them sound that good. One guy even had to take his pair he brought and look at them and said these are not my 650's. But since you didn't mind the highs of the 990's they might not be for you though.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #54 of 75
If by didn't mind the highs, you mean that I didn't like the highs of the DT990's? Then yes. They were sparkly and interesting, but too sibilant and fatiguing. My ear canals felt really itchy after listening to them for about 15-20 minutes. I believe they would have been really great, especially for the price, if the treble was dialled back a notch.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #55 of 75
Well that helps as they are bright even for me and I don't mind a bright can . This will be hard as there are so many at your price point. I only try to say anything about what I've actually heard and that is not everything.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #56 of 75
In my ears, they are very bright. I don't even mind listening to Klipsch RF-82 mk1 for hours, which many people find fatiguing. Guess I'm an odd fellow.
I am considering maybe holding off on a DAC for now, and rather spend more on the headphones for now. But it does make me feel a little "bad" if I "must" spend so much money on headphones. If the setup was to replace my stereo system, then sure. I did buy everything used for my stereo, but in total I've spent about $960 on it. And I'm really satisfied with it!

Been looking at the HiFiman HE-400i and HE-400s at $442 and $505. I could get the HE-400, guess that's the oldest, for as low as $190 used.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #57 of 75
With some power The HE-400's the old ones are some of the funniest headphones I have . They are modded with a grill mod and Sorbathane mod totally reversible. From the Mojo which I'm listening to now is just rocks it.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #58 of 75
Interesting. I do want a fun headphone... Maybe a pair of used HE-400 would be the way to go? I don't mind DIY as long as it's proper DIY. Meaning the price of the project doesn't end up being equal to just buying a better pair.

In your opinion, what would be "wrong" with the stock HE-400 and what does your mods bring?

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #59 of 75
As a new HD600 owner, coming from the Beyer DT770 and 990, i'd highly recommend looking for a used 600/650. They've been out long enough and are so omni present that you should be able to find them used for considerably less money (mine where 160€ instead of 299€ new. And they are like new, without box, but like new).
In direct comparison the 770 sounds incredibly muffled to me now. And yes, the HD6** are great for everything. They are not for Bassheads, but apart from that, you won't find music that doesn't shine through them.
Plus, the slightly laid back sound signature might pair well with the Schiit stack, as this is rather flat and straight forward (like most SS solutions). The HD600 is just easy to listen to for hours on end.
The Hifiman where out for me as is was unable to get a decent price in Europe (Germany specifically). They might be a bit more engaging than the Sennheisers, but i found that this also fatigues me at times...

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #60 of 75
Thanks for the input, domsch1988!

I'll definitely keep an eye for them used. Right now, it doesn't look so good. I saw a pair of HD650 the other day for €160, but they needed a new cable and they didn't look very good cosmetic wise at least.

There's one listing for the HD6xx massdrop edition for €256, barely used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back