Need Help With Computer Sound Output
Jan 27, 2007 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pumpkin77

100+ Head-Fier
I am slipping deeper and deeper. I need advice on getting better sound out of my computer. I upgraded a video card when I was into gaming (ati radeon 9800), now have an xbox 360 for that. But I am currently using an emmeline sr-71 and ety 4p with custom earmolds through my audio out on the supplied soundcard. I want an more quality output from my computer. What do I need? A simple soundcard, DAC, or something else? Thanks for any help!
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 4
It depends how much better quality you want to achieve and how much money you plan to spend on the upgrade. Also, what it exactly is "the supplied soundcard" you have?

Anyway, a few years ago I had a similar problem. My soundcard (integrated on motherboard) was really crappy, sometimes one could hear noise when the mouse was moved or during harddrive access. After I put in Soundblaster Live (EMU10K1 based), I was quite satisfied - noise due to improper shielding was gone and the sound improvement was obvious at the first listen even with a low(est) end earbuds.

Actually, these days I have the same problem again. This time the computer in question is my laptop and thus I have to go for some USB solution (and I am almost decided for Fubar II from Firestone Audio). A USB DAC seems to be a good choice (no noise from inside the computer, error-corrected digital connection between the computer and the converter) as long as all you need is getting stereo music out of your computer.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 4
look into getting an external DAC for it's suppose to be the best sound card you can get for a computer. in part do to the digital signal being processed outside of the computer and usually a better product than most soundcards.

I have a MicroDAC which allows USB, Optical or SPDIF(coaxial) input. I keep reading different opinions of which digital connection is best. many prefer SPDIF(coaxial) of which some soundcards only output digital signals in SPDIF(coaxial) of which is good for it gives you the digital output favored by many. On me iMac I can only output digital signals by Optical and USB and I cannot tell a difference in SQ between me $50 Optical and the $5 USB connections. for both the Optical and SPDIF you will need interconnects with mini plugs on one or both ends depending on the DAC. Optical has Mini Toslink adapters and SPDIF can come terminated in mini plugs. actually I just recently spotted an Optical interconnect already terminated in Mini Toslink on at least one end but forget where at the moment.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 4
I am experimenting with the TotalBitHead and I am very satisfised with the results so far. It has both a USB DAC and an amp. Right now i am using it as a DAC to feed my Corda HeadFive amp. I sounds beautiful. I think I may take the plunge and try the Headroom MicroDac soon although some of the Chinese products like those from Diyeden also look tempting for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back