need help with cmoy
Nov 28, 2002 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dokebi

500+ Head-Fier
Excuse my newbish stupidity,

I looked at tangents site and can understand the tutorials regarding the top side. But I am confused on how the bottom of the board should look as I am using a protoboard. Does anyone have any pictures of how I need to solder things together on the bottom?

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, hopefully you're using either the Hansen board or the Radio Shack board because they have bridges that link holes in series. Because of the bridges, you need to place the components just as Tangent has them in the diagrams on the website. And as to soldering them. Place the component in on the upperside and heat and apply solder (I'd rather not go into any more depth of heating and applying solder as I'm just starting to do so myself and probably doing it somewhat incorrectly.). The solder will hold the component onto the board. Be careful not to overflow the solder onto any of the other bridges and create a short between them (unless there's a jumper between the two bridges). I'd get a soldering braid or a solder pump at Radio Shack in case you need to soak up some of the solder.

Nov 28, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi dokebi,

If you are going to use a protoboard, you need to solder a wire from one end of the component to the next componet in the circuit, etc. The Hansen would be easier, but you'll probably learn more using a protoboard.

Good luck.

BTW: Thanks for helping sacd lover find the JVC hp. If it as good as sacd says, then we (the lemmings) will have good set of phones for little money. OTOH, if they turn out crappy, we will hold you and sacd lover responsible. You don't want to mess with a bunch of pissed off lemmings!! It could get real ugly!!!
eek.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

If you are going to use a protoboard, you need to solder a wire from one end of the component to the next componet in the circuit, etc. The Hansen would be easier, but you'll probably learn more using a protoboard.
Good luck.

Thanks, the thing is I have no idea how they should be wired together. The pictures already on Tangents site is simple enough to understand, however I dont know how the jumper wires etc should be wired under the board.

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 6
If you're not using one of the RS perfboard models I talk about, don't pay any attention to my pictures. Use Chu Moy's schematic instead to construct your own perfboard layout.

If you want to reverse-engineer what I did from the pictures and drawings for some reason, there's nothing magical going on on the bottom of the board. Where you see the white/gray markings on the top of the board, there's copper on the bottom joining the holes. So, if two components both have pins going into one of these gray areas, they are connected at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back