Need help with closed over-ear headphones! (Been searching for months!!!)
Sep 7, 2014 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

grayfedora

New Head-Fier
Hello! I'm new to head-fi, need recommendations for closed over-ear headphones that works without any AMPs. I know there are quite a number of threads out there but I have been reading and searching for months and still no definitive conclusions yet... Whenever I see a headphone that fits my needs another review pops up and contradicts it.

I listen mostly to classical music(epic, mostly), with huge emphasis on the drums. No AMP because I will be on the road a lot and I need to travel light, same reason for choosing closed-only. Locally, only cheaper headphones are up for auditions, so either way it will be a gamble for me(return policy is pretty bad too).

Budget is no more than $400, expected to sound real good, comfortable usage for roughly 4-5 hours at a time, and fairly durable.

Current choices are:
Beoplay H6 
PSB M4U 1 / 2
Bowers & Wilkins P7
DT 770 32Ohms
Sony MDR-1RMK2
Audio-Technica ATH-A900X

Ruled out:
NAD VISO HP50 (looks kinda weird)
Sennheiser Momentum (complains of it being too small..?)
AKG K5xx (looks huge, do correct me if I'm wrong)

Feel free to recommend other headphones better than those listed. My head is probably average to above average-sized.
Please please help me settle this for once and for all!
(below is an example of the music I listen to, really dig the percussion on this one.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 3
I've been a long-time lurker, and decided to finally make an account after seeing this post, since I might actually be useful here! :)

I've gotten a chance to listen to the B&W P7, Sony MDR-1R, and PSB M4U 1 in the past and compare them side-by-side.

I ended up getting the PSB M4U 1's, and have had them now for about 10 months -- I just listened to the sample you had, and the M4U 1's sound incredible. I don't have the other headphones with me, but my impressions were that (1) the B&W P7 were a little too bassy for my taste (and the extra $100 wasn't worth it) and that (2) the Sony MDR-1Rs just didn't sound as good in all aspects -- bass was a little looser, mid-range not as good, etc.

I primarily listen to classical (mostly concertos, and piano solos), pop, and Bollywood music; I often fly, and when I do, I usually drop by audio stores by terminals -- to date, I don't think I've ever found a headphone under $500 that sounds better than the M4U 1's. Then again though, my ears, my taste in music, blah blah :) Although, I think that we likely have similar tastes in music.

Regarding comfort, the PSB M4U1 will have a strong clamping force at first (though I have a pretty large head). I found that within the first month, though, it became much much better. Right now, I'd say that it's one of the more comfortable headphones I've tried. The only headphones I've found which are more comfortable are the MDR-1Rs. You're spot-on about the Momentum's -- my ears have to fold slightly when they're inside the cans; also, they sound horrible in comparison to the M4U1.

These days, I wear the M4U1's for about 6-7 hours a day; they don't totally disappear, but are definitely not fatiguing/heavy to wear. They're also nice and durable. They're also pretty portable -- I carry them with me when I fly.

Also -- from what I've seen on reviews, it seems like the PSB M4U 2 sounds pretty identical to the M4U1 in "passive" mode. If you're willing to shell out another $100, the noise canceling could be worth it. I got the M4U 1's since I didn't want to pay another $100 for NC/had a budget of $300 at the time.

By the way - I really like this style of music. Any chance you'd be willing to share/PM a playlist/say what other titles you listen to?

Karthik

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 3
For on the go use without an amp, I recommend the NAD VISO HP50 (looks fine to me--sounds better), PSB M4U 1, Focal Spirit Pro or Sony MDR 7520.  These are listed in order from warm to dead neutral (I call it a tie in that regard between the FS and Sony).  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

and

http://www.cnet.com/products/psb-m4u-1/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back