Need help with choosing stereo for my computer.
Sep 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tyler972

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking into buying a decent stereo setup for listening to music on my computer.  My budget is around 200USD.  I am looking for something like the Dayton B652 and Lepai 2020A+ but maybe a little higher quality.  I also would like to get a sub-woofer to go with the speakers I get.  I am using the on-board audio from my computer and my also use my iPod.  Let me know if there is anything I left out.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 13
Something low cost for a 2.1

Klipsch Media Pro 2.1, sells used for around $80, on eBay.

Asus Xonar DG, DGX, DS, DSX, DX or D1 sound card, price range $27-$65

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 13
Combine the Dayton B652 and Lepai 2020A+ with the Dayton SUB1000 or Polk PSW10 (whichever is cheaper).

THIS. Do not get some computer junk speaker setup. Get real bookshelf speakers. Not tweeters and a single mid woofer (those 2.1 setups).

So to set this up with the sub I would connect the amp Lepai to the sub then connect the speakers to the sub right, sorry i'm new to this.

Depends on the sub. But basically yes, the output from the Lepair would go to the sub which will have front left/right inputs, and then output to the speakers. It's acting as a pass through and just picking up the crossover frequencies as it goes through, which you then set. I suggest around 80hz as a start, then tweak that based on how it sounds with the speakers in your room.

Note - Most of the time, you can get away with a sub because a good pair of bookshelves can do almost everything you need (Unlike tweeters in a box 2.1 computer audio setups). A sub is there to drop the high powered 30~60hz tones which are very difficult for a small mid range woofer (even 8" woofers have a hard time dropping this with authority in a large room). A 10" woofer is the start of a real sub woofer. So start by looking at 10" and 12" subs. If you get less than that, you might as well save your money and not bother, as it won't be a sub, it will just be a mid-woofer being labeled a sub which is false.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back