Need help with choosing my next cans
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #46 of 47
Quote:
Quick question then. I found O2 + ODAC from JDS Labs, if I get that combo whats the difference than just getting a M-Stage? Its the same price to get both, around $295. I have no experience at all with DACs so this is completely new to me.

The M-Stage is an amplifier; Matrix has a matching DAC, in a separate case, for US$300 (IIRC).

The ODAC+O2 combo is an amplifier and a DAC integrated into one case.

Also would all headphones benefit from this combo, or only headphones such as the Q701?

A headphone amp really (really!) shouldn't hurt the sound unless it's badly junk, broken, or made specifically for some other headphone. On the other hand, a really good sound card or DAP is better than a crummy amplifier.

The Q701 is much more likely to benefit, audibly and obviously, from an amplifier than most other headphones because, in my opinion, of its power requirements. Do you need an amp with the Q701? Possibly not. It never hurts to try them without an amp.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #47 of 47
Quote:

The M-Stage is an amplifier; Matrix has a matching DAC, in a separate case, for US$300 (IIRC).

The ODAC+O2 combo is an amplifier and a DAC integrated into one case.

A headphone amp really (really!) shouldn't hurt the sound unless it's badly junk, broken, or made specifically for some other headphone. On the other hand, a really good sound card or DAP is better than a crummy amplifier.

The Q701 is much more likely to benefit, audibly and obviously, from an amplifier than most other headphones because, in my opinion, of its power requirements. Do you need an amp with the Q701? Possibly not. It never hurts to try them without an amp.

I meant if the combo of DAC and amp would have more benefit say over just the M-Stage alone. I am not too familiar with DACs and I have been under the impression all you need is a amp, which I guess is wrong now 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back