Need help with choosing my next cans
Oct 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 47
No idea about the D1.  HD598 instead as K/Q701 tends to be finicky about what amp you pair it with.

Edit: then get more out of 7509HD - dampen each of its drivers with dynamat xtreme later:

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #32 of 47
So get the HD598 until I can get the M-Stage pretty much for the Q701? I don't want the K701/702. I've been reading that its not as nice as the Q701. The Q701 looks amazing but comes with a bigger price tag cause of the amp. Is the M-Stage a good all-around amp? 

I'm really sorry for all my questions. I am about to drop $250 for either headphone and want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck 

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #33 of 47
Hi there,

The Beyerdynamic DT770s are my favorite closed cans for gaming/movies.  Good sound stage/positional accuracy for any headphone, especially a closed one!  And omg are they comfortable, I can wear them all day!  Amazon has them for under $200 usually, I recommend the 80 Ohm version.

My favorite open headphone is the DT990. Also incredible comfort, I got my 600 Ohm DT990s on sale for 250 at Amazon.

The 990s are better for an all around headphone. Incredible music and gaming/movie performance for a great price.

I use both of these headphones with a Fiio E9 amp, Sells new for just under $100 on Amazon. Great value also.

I've tried just about every headphone in their price range and also up to $500. The Beyers are my favorite in terms of sound quality, comfort and value.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions!

Good luck!

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:
Hi there,

The Beyerdynamic DT770s are my favorite closed cans for gaming/movies.  Incredible sound stage/positional accuracy for any headphone, especially a closed one!  And omg are they comfortable, I can wear them all day!  Amazon has them for under $200 usually, I recommend the 80 Ohm version.

My favorite open headphone is the DT990 pro or premium versions. Also incredible comfort, I got my 600 Ohm DT990s on sale for 250 at Amazon.

The 990s sound better for an all around headphone. Incredible music and gaming/movie performance for a great price.

I use both of these headphones with a Fiio E9 amp, Sells new for just under $100 on Amazon. Great value also.

I've tried just about every headphone in their price range and also up to $500. The Beyers are my favorite in terms of sound quality, comfort and value.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions!

Good luck!

Man I totally regret now not getting the Beyer. And is the E9 amp strong enough to push high end cans like the Q701 if I do decide to get it in the future? And why the 80 ohm and not the 250?

And Mad Max, are you serious lol? it looks like it ruined the headphone drivers. I don't know much about dynamat xtreme but a quick google search said it helps to get better and clearer sound

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:
So get the HD598 until I can get the M-Stage pretty much for the Q701? I don't want the K701/702. I've been reading that its not as nice as the Q701. The Q701 looks amazing but comes with a bigger price tag cause of the amp. Is the M-Stage a good all-around amp? 

I'm really sorry for all my questions. I am about to drop $250 for either headphone and want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck 

Yup, the M-Stage is a good all-rounder.  It goes really well with the AKGs.

Get HD598 used.  Resell it if you end up changing your taste in sound and strike out Q701 from your list of considerations.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:
Man I totally regret now not getting the Beyer. And is the E9 amp strong enough to push high end cans like the Q701 if I do decide to get it in the future? And why the 80 ohm and not the 250?

And Mad Max, are you serious lol? it looks like it ruined the headphone drivers. I don't know much about dynamat xtreme but a quick google search said it helps to get better and clearer sound

Yeah, I just slapped it on without obstructing any of the vents and filtered vents.  You cannot see much of the driver element underneath, but it is certainly intact and the modification is fully reversible.
It will give you a cleaner, clearer sound with more details and better positioning of sounds.  Stuffing the hollow arches that connect the cups to the headband with dynamat tightens the bass and expands the soundstage big time, bringing 7509HD just a hair or two short of AD700 in soundstage size, if you've read about that nasty headphone.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Yeah, I just slapped it on without obstructing any of the vents and filtered vents.  You cannot see much of the driver element underneath, but it is certainly intact and the modification is fully reversible.
It will give you a cleaner, clearer sound with more details and better positioning of sounds.  Stuffing the hollow arches that connect the cups to the headband with dynamat tightens the bass and expands the soundstage big time, bringing 7509HD just a hair or two short of AD700 in soundstage size, if you've read about that nasty headphone.

Are you being sarcastic about the AD700? Cause I read it and I heard good things about it, unless I am thinking about a different headphone. And I will look up this modification and try it when I get a new headphone. I am hesitant though as I fear of breaking it. And I might try getting them used, I am starting to check again the sales section here to possibly find a cheap HD598. I've always wanted them when I first started getting into this hobby, but it was HD595 at the time and the HD598 wasn't out yet. I will try and save up enough money in a few months for the M-Stage. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

I'm sure the E9 can handle the Q701s, maybe someone else should chime in about that though as I haven't used the two together.

The 250 and 80 Ohm versions sound pretty much the same to me, but the 80 Ohm is easier to drive and has a straight cable, while the 250 has a coiled cable.

Straight cables are just more comfortable for desktop use IMO.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
I'm sure the E9 can handle the Q701s, maybe someone else should chime in about that though as I haven't used the two together.

The 250 and 80 Ohm versions sound pretty much the same to me, but the 80 Ohm is easier to drive and has a straight cable, while the 250 has a coiled cable.

Straight cables are just more comfortable for desktop use IMO.

I don't mind the cables, I prefer straight but I don't mind if its coiled. And I'll see if I can switch out the 7509HD for the Beyer. I got the 3 year accidental coverage so I should be able to, maybe with a little charge. I have grown attached to my 7509HD but if I don't know much so could be attached to something that is not even that great lol. I got it for $160 so it wasn't too expensive- but that is expensive for me lol

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

AKG Q701/K701/K702. Does it beat the HD 598? According to some it does. According to others, it doesn't. I don't recall anyone reporting it sounds the same.

The AKG [QK]70[12] models are in your price range. I haven't heard them even though I'd like to.

The HD598 is by far the better headphone. No question about it. I've heard both the HD598 and Q701 out of $500+ amps (though amps make little differences anyhow) and tested all kinds of genres. 

Simply put the HD598 is far more versatile. It is not as amp dependent and works with all genres quite well unlike the Q701. The soundstage on the Q701 is severely flawed because it is artifically huge and has no center - simply left and right integration of sound. The HD598 on the other hand has a spacious but very realistic soundstage... perhaps the best I've heard. Both are very good in their midrange but the HD598 sounds "fuller" and less "thin" - people will testify to how "smooth" the HD598s are over the Q701 and this is certainly true. Although the Q701 has a good midrange performance for the most part (vocals can sound distant due to soundstage), it's overshadowed by its peaky treble. The treble gives the false impression of greater details when in reality they are details never intended by the artist to be there. The HD598 manages to have enough treble - unlike most other Sennheisers - to have energy in its sound. In terms of bass:

HD598 >>>>>>>> Q701 >>> AD700 

That's how I would describe the bass in terms of quantity. I can't even tell if the Q701 has better extension in its bass simply because it's so hard to hear/ feel. The HD598 integrates the bass very well with its midrange and treble. Nothing is missing. 

Even unamped, the HD598 will far be closer to how the recording artist intended compared to an amped Q701. As for what amp to recommend to the HD598, anything with a low output impedance will be fine. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #41 of 47
The E9 is fine with the Q701 as long as you use the large jack. It doesn't benefit from even better amps too.

To my ears, the Q701 and HD-598 are both good all-rounders and equally good with all genres. I've found the Q701 (I have) to have a little more bass than the HD-598. A little lower extension, but bass quantity is pretty close for me. None of them will satisfy any bass head.

If the Q701 had no center image than it would be defective. I've never found the Q701 to have an abnormally massive soundstage. That's the K501 for me. Not with every amp, but i'm sure it's possible. It's very accurate. I actually felt the imaging on the 598 was worth than even the K601. I compared them both about a year ago. I believe the HD-580/600 is said to have better imaging than the 598, but I like both.

I've yet to get the Q701 to sound thin. If it is for me it's due to a) weak amping (such as a portable amp) or B) that's how the recording is.

Yes..there's some recordings that are thin and harsh. I can instantly switch to another track and the Q701 is very full in the mids and warm sounding. The Q701 is good at fooling the brain sometimes. My KRK KNS-8400 is like this too.

The only time the treble sounds peaky for me is if I use a slightly colored DAC or amp or if I'm listening to crappy recordings. Some Jpop sounds awful on the Q701 and nearly just as bad on other headphones. The HD-598 magically "fixes" them and makes them easier on the ears.

It all comes down to what sounds best with your own ears. HD-598 is a little more forgiving with garbage tracks i've found. The HD-600 (stock) even more so.

BTW my Q701 with Micro Amp from ODAC is perfectly smooth. A tiny bit less than my 598, but pretty close. The ODAC sounds like it must have rolled off treble or something, but it doesn't. The ODAC was a clear upgrade for my Q701 from my HRT MSII for sure. The Q701 would be harder for me to like with the wrong setup. It doesn't seem to sound best for me on anything very neutral. The ODAC didn't make it any more analytical or revealing. Pretty much the same signature, but even better.

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #42 of 47
I've heard K501 and K701 out of my M-Stage.  Both have huge soundstages, K701 a bit more.  "Abnormal" isn't the right descriptor at all.  They depend on the source, so some music would produce massive soundstages and some not as much.
K701 does reach down to 20Hz very well out of the M-Stage, and this amp does not exacerbate K701's bright highs, so they go really well together.
E9 doesn't handle K/Q701 as well as the M-Stage, I'm told.
With the E9's higher output impedance, it doesn't surprise me.  E9 should do well with 250-ohm beyers, though.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #43 of 47
The E9 is fine with the Q701 as long as you use the large jack. It doesn't benefit from even better amps too.

To my ears, the Q701 and HD-598 are both good all-rounders and equally good with all genres. I've found the Q701 (I have) to have a little more bass than the HD-598. A little lower extension, but bass quantity is pretty close for me. None of them will satisfy any bass head.

If the Q701 had no center image than it would be defective. I've never found the Q701 to have an abnormally massive soundstage. That's the K501 for me. Not with every amp, but i'm sure it's possible. It's very accurate. I actually felt the imaging on the 598 was worth than even the K601. I compared them both about a year ago. I believe the HD-580/600 is said to have better imaging than the 598, but I like both.

I've yet to get the Q701 to sound thin. If it is for me it's due to a) weak amping (such as a portable amp) or B) that's how the recording is.

Yes..there's some recordings that are thin and harsh. I can instantly switch to another track and the Q701 is very full in the mids and warm sounding. The Q701 is good at fooling the brain sometimes. My KRK KNS-8400 is like this too.

The only time the treble sounds peaky for me is if I use a slightly colored DAC or amp or if I'm listening to crappy recordings. Some Jpop sounds awful on the Q701 and nearly just as bad on other headphones. The HD-598 magically "fixes" them and makes them easier on the ears.

It all comes down to what sounds best with your own ears. HD-598 is a little more forgiving with garbage tracks i've found. The HD-600 (stock) even more so.

BTW my Q701 with Micro Amp from ODAC is perfectly smooth. A tiny bit less than my 598, but pretty close. The ODAC sounds like it must have rolled off treble or something, but it doesn't. The ODAC was a clear upgrade for my Q701 from my HRT MSII for sure. The Q701 would be harder for me to like with the wrong setup. It doesn't seem to sound best for me on anything very neutral. The ODAC didn't make it any more analytical or revealing. Pretty much the same signature, but even better.

Ummmm I've been trying to research this "Micro amp from ODAC" and I couldn't find anything about it as in price. When I looked it up I saw your post about changing the grills with some towel lol. But I read that the HD598 is still clearer but with less bass. By the looks of things I'm going to get both eventually to experience what the difference sound signatures and sound qualities lol. And have you ever head of the Audioengine D1 before? Apperently notamy people have and I want to see how it fairs as an amp for these. I have enough money to get one of these cans a E9 but i prefer to save money if I can.

You guys have been great and helpful so far and I'm oustanded by the amount of response I'm getting. This is a great community :D

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:
Ummmm I've been trying to research this "Micro amp from ODAC" and I couldn't find anything about it as in price.

It isn't an amplifier and can't be used as one. ODAC is actually the name of a DAC; the matching amplifier, from the same designer, is the Objective2 (a/k/a O2.)

From JDSLabs, the "standalone ODAC" is US$150 (or, with RCA output jacks, $160.) Here are the names of some distributors.

JDS Labs (US)
Epiphany Acoustics (UK)
Head-N-HiFi (CH)
Audio Poutine (CA)

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

It isn't an amplifier and can't be used as one. ODAC is actually the name of a DAC; the matching amplifier, from the same designer, is the Objective2 (a/k/a O2.)

From JDSLabs, the "standalone ODAC" is US$150 (or, with RCA output jacks, $160.) Here are the names of some distributors.

JDS Labs (US)
Epiphany Acoustics (UK)
Head-N-HiFi (CH)
Audio Poutine (CA)

Ok thanks for the clarification. 

Quick question then. I found O2 + ODAC from JDS Labs, if I get that combo whats the difference than just getting a M-Stage? Its the same price to get both, around $295. I have no experience at all with DACs so this is completely new to me. 

Also would all headphones benefit from this combo, or only headphones such as the Q701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back