Need help with choosing my next cans
Oct 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 47
Are there any other headphones that I am missing from the $300 and under range that can beat the HD598? I don't know sound signatures for Senn or any company for that matter. I plan on learning in a few years when I graduate and make some money but for now I am going to go off Head-Fi's expertise :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:
Are there any other headphones that I am missing from the $300 and under range that can beat the HD598? I don't know sound signatures for Senn or any company for that matter. I plan on learning in a few years when I graduate and make some money but for now I am going to go off Head-Fi's expertise :)

AKG Q701/K701/K702. Does it beat the HD 598? According to some it does. According to others, it doesn't. I don't recall anyone reporting it sounds the same.

The AKG [QK]70[12] models are in your price range. I haven't heard them even though I'd like to.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 47
You could look into the Beyerdynamic dt-770. Closed and comfortable but probably lacking in the soundstage you're looking for.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 47
I was about to get the dt-770 but someone recommended me getting the Sony MDR-7509HD and I kinda feel like I regret it as a lot of people praise the dt-770. Do you think the dt-770 is better than the SRH-980?

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:
I was about to get the dt-770 but someone recommended me getting the Sony MDR-7509HD and I kinda feel like I regret it as a lot of people praise the dt-770. Do you think the dt-770 is better than the SRH-980?

I have never heard of the sonys. But that is mainly because I have never been a fan of sony headphones. As for the srh 980s, I cant seem to find these headphones. Did you mean the 940 shures? Out of them al l have only heard the 770s but as for the guy above saying lacking soundstage, I find the dt770s to have some of the best soundstage for decently priced closed backs. Compared to many opens yea, they probably lack soundstage, but for closed I find them very good. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #22 of 47
Yeah I meant the 940s sorry. And I was introduced to the MDR-7509HD when I asked here for my first ever high end headphone. I am very happy with it but when I got the M50 I noticed that the highs were very sharp and fatiguing. I don't know if that is just my lack of knowledge of headphones and that's how they're supposed to be or what. I might get 2 headphones by the looks of things, as I don't have a great closed pair of cans yet. So 1 open and 1 closed. Looks the open pair I'll get is the HD598 unless someone show's me something better than it for the price. Looks like someone pointed out the AKG ones but I'm not too familiar with that specific one. I looked up the AKG Q701 and there are very mixed opinions about it. Some people say that either you like one or the either and you need to try both, but sadly I can't. I can only purchase these type of stuff off of amazon as no retailer here sells it, let alone let me try it 
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 47
I find the 770s to be nice and dark. The 940s according to reviews are kinda treble focused more then say the 770s. The bass in the 770s will be there a bit more then the 940s but still somehow have more soundstage which would help from a gaming point of view/( and music I guess lol)  According to others the shures are very nice but again I have not tried them.

as for that sony I have not hear much but :

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr7509hd-professional-headphone/reviews

That is the page with others reviews on it. Sounds like another mids headphone like the 940s. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:
I find the 770s to be nice and dark. The 940s according to reviews are kinda treble focused more then say the 770s. The bass in the 770s will be there a bit more then the 940s but still somehow have more soundstage which would help from a gaming point of view/( and music I guess lol)  According to others the shures are very nice but again I have not tried them.

as for that sony I have not hear much but :

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr7509hd-professional-headphone/reviews

That is the page with others reviews on it. Sounds like another mids headphone like the 940s. 

So pretty much the 940s would be a waste of money as I have the MDR-7509HD, they both are similar. I took out the 940s and added the AKG Q701 lol. They are similar in price. They both are open headphones and they both seem like great headphones. The decision is just getting harder lol. Thanks everyone for your help so far. I greatly appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:
So pretty much the 940s would be a waste of money as I have the MDR-7509HD, they both are similar. I took out the 940s and added the AKG K701/702 lol. They are similar in price. They both are open headphones and they both seem like great headphones. The decision is just getting harder lol. Thanks everyone for your help so far. I greatly appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

No problem, I think you could order them and return them if you dont like them depending where you order them.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #27 of 47
Yup, return shipping is on you.

I'd be surprised if SRH940 didn't demolish 7509HD in sound quality, going by what I've read about that Shure.

Also, SRH940 has much better balance, among other things, but a stronger treble peak (the source of the treble fatigue):

Be sure to pair that Q701 with an M-Stage.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
Yup, return shipping is on you.

I'd be surprised if SRH940 didn't demolish 7509HD in sound quality, going by what I've read about that Shure.

Also, SRH940 has much better balance, among other things, but a stronger treble peak (the source of the treble fatigue):

Be sure to pair that Q701 with an M-Stage.

lol wow the frequency response looks like a big difference :frowning2: man this hobby is a love-hate thing. I want them all but I don't have enough money. The M-Stage, I looked it up but I don't see how to input music into it. In the back there are 2 stereo inputs but how I've never seen how to do that. I wasn't kidding when I said I'm a noob 
frown.gif
 and its expensive. Is the Audioengine D1 not enough to push the Q701?

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #29 of 47
No idea.

The M-Stage's inputs require a pair of RCA cables or a 3.5mm-to-dual-RCA cable depending on what you hook it up to.

You could always sell your 7509HD, although it is a discontinued headphone and not very popular.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 47
Lesson learned for the MDR-7509HD. and I'm going to keep it as a reference headphone. I looked them up and they are good reference headphones. Multiple people here recommended it to me last time before I went to go get it, more than a year ago now. Is the M-Stage going to be the only amp I'll ever need? If so I'll save up the money and get it. I really like the Audioengine D1, really brought more life into my MDR-7509HD. Mad Max, which do you recommend, Q701 or 595HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back