Need help with choosing my next cans
Oct 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

jepenyot

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'll just start off by saying thank you for reading this and trying to help me with this decision. I've been researching for weeks and I've come to narrow my decision down to 3 headphones

Shure SRH-840
Shure SRH-940
Sennheiser HD-598

Now I know these are two different type of headphones one being open and one closed. My current 2 headphones are Sony MDR-7509HD and the M50 with a Audioengine D1. I listen to a variety of music but mostly OST from movies and games such as Batman and Inception and also some classical music and some vocals. I have the FLACs for these and I'm hoping the D1 is a decent amp. I consider myself a noob in the high end headphone world as I recently just got into it. I want this next headphone to possibly be my last headphones I get as I'm a college student and my wallet isn't really thanking me for getting into this hobby lol. Oh I may also do gaming with these in the near future, and I know the HD598 would be the better choose for better soundstage. From my limited experience I feel like the highs in the MDR-7509HD are fatiguing and too crisp for me. Idk if that's what it truly is or not, again I'm a noob lol. If anyone has another recommendation I'm all open for it, and my price is $300 or lower and I don't know if I'm willing to buy another amp or not lol.

I hope I said everything I needed to for you guys to get a decent idea of what I need and I hope everything is correctly typed as I did this on my phone :)

Thanks guys again and I'm excited to get my next pair of headphones :D

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 47
Well, if you are using these cans for movies, and games then I assume you will be wearing these for long periods of time..at minimum an hour. I have had bad experiences with Shure.. they have that "clamping" feeling after a while which gives you a headache. And my head is not even that big..last year I abandoned Shure and upgraded to Sennheiser HD 449 and I could not be happier. Sennheisers are very well made and VERY comfortable ( especially if you get them with the cloth earpads instead of the leatherette ones) they are nice and light so you don't even notice them after a while..I would recommend you get the Sennheiser HD 598.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 47
I forgot to say comfort is huge for me and is a reason why I want the 598. But I might use them to study in library so it leaks a lot of noise. If I get the 598 I'll just use the M50 then to study

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:
I forgot to say comfort is huge for me and is a reason why I want the 598. But I might use them to study in library so it leaks a lot of noise. If I get the 598 I'll just use the M50 then to study

I still recommend the 598. They have nice noise cancellation, so you don't have to turn your music up high at all, and no one can hear you even if you do blast them from up to 10 feet away

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 47
I don't know exactly what the previous poster is drinking, but the HD598 leaks nearly the worst of any open headphone I own. However, for all of your non-public needs I'd recommend it. The SRH940 would be the second choice if you need to use it publicly.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:
I still recommend the 598. They have nice noise cancellation, so you don't have to turn your music up high at all, and no one can hear you even if you do blast them from up to 10 feet away

The HD 598 doesn't have noise cancellation. Plus, it's an open headphone: If the volume is high enough, people near you will hear them just fine.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:
I don't know exactly what the previous poster is drinking, but the HD598 leaks nearly the worst of any open headphone I own. However, for all of your non-public needs I'd recommend it. The SRH940 would be the second choice if you need to use it publicly.

What are YOU drinking? They do not leak at all!!!..maybe if you have the cloth cups they may leak a small amount but not with the leatherette. Shure sucks.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:
What are YOU drinking? They do not leak at all!!!..maybe if you have the cloth cups they may leak a small amount but not with the leatherette. Shure sucks.

The HD 650 is an open headphone. They leak sound. That's what open means.

It may be possible to modify them so they don't leak but then they aren't stock HD 650's. Similarly, my 1984 Honda has a top speed of over 175 MPH but only with an expensive, aftermarket engine.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 47
Sorry JohnLD, it is open and it does leak and it doesn't block any noise, even though I wish it did. 

I still don't know what to get. Are there any other headphones that are good or are those good for what I am wanting? Also I still don't know if I regret getting the Sony MDR-7509HD, they are very good but I can't get used to the highs.

By the looks of things people are leaning towards the HD598. Will the Audioengine D1 push these just fine?

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

The HD 598 doesn't have noise cancellation. Plus, it's an open headphone: If the volume is high enough, people near you will hear them just fine.

at least you werent rude. but I did not mean noise cancellation I just meant that sound does not leak as much as on ear headphones. you know what. I am pretty sure im thinking of the wrong headphones all together...AHH i was looking at the MM 500-X. Yea sorry about that, I have no idea how that happened.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 47
lol its alright. I figured you were thinking of the wrong headphones :)

Now, what do you guys think I should get lol 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:
lol its alright. I figured you were thinking of the wrong headphones :)

Now, what do you guys think I should get lol 
biggrin.gif

Either the SRH940 or something other than what you suggested. Maybe look at the Ultrasone HFI series, theyre pretty nice. I am trying to think so comfortability, and all I can think of are Sennheisers, Ultrasone, and Bose are OK. but I don't really like them that much..overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back