NEED HELP with choosing a 5.1 Surround Sound System!
Dec 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sebaslegrand

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

My house burned down in March of this year and it's finally being done rebuilding, we'll be moving in on the 21st, such a nice Christmas present! Anyways, so I need a 5.1 Surround sound system for my computer that has a good sound card with Digital Input.

This is my sound card : http://www.htomega.com/claro.html

So I've been looking and I don't want to pay for big brand names like Sony and Samsung, etc... I wanted to know your idea on more underground companies that produce as good, if not better products that these companies for a better price???

I can probably put something like 500 CAD$ Shipped or not is going to be determined depending on what you guys give me as ideas!

I currently have my eyes on this, is this any good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZSYZO/sr=8-69/qid=1323896407/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1323896407&sr=8-69&seller=

The main purpose of this system is Music (Heavy Metal / Death / Melodic type of music) and also 3D sound gaming.

Thank you for your insight and I hope you guys can provide me with enough information this week so I can maybe buy it on the weekend!

Thanks again! :)

Sebastian

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 17
If you have the room and have a Best Buy nearby, I recomennd you get this five-speaker package while it is still on incredible sale:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+5-1/4%22+Floor+Speakers%2C+4%22+Bookshelf+Speakers+%26+Center+Channel+Speaker+Package/9999165100050018.p?id=pcmprd164900050018&skuId=9999165100050018

The speakers are superb-sounding units designed by Andrew Jones, formerly chief engineer at KEF and Infinity.  You can get any number of AV receivers with the money left over and still be under your $500 budget.  The receiver won't be up to the speakers in quality, but you're not going to get a chance to get a five-speaker set of this sonic quality for this price anywhere else that I know of, and I am no fan of Best Buy.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 17
That sounds pretty good actually, but I don't live in the States, I live in Canada, Quebec! So I'll check if they have that sale around here, thanks! But I also need the Amplifier with that :p

EDIT : They don't even have it listed here in Canada, sorry :frowning2: But thanks anyways :)

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Dec 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 17
Used is your friend. Yamaha receiver that has Dolby Digital (can be had for $80-100), the speakers I linked to ($230) gives you a couple of hundred to spare for a sub- look for a used Velodyne or even the low end Energy/ Mirage subs that are sometimes included with these sets aren't bad.
Do your research now.
The worst deal in stereo gear is "new retail" by far.......

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 17
Alright thanks, I know prices fir new retail are exaggerated a bit (lots) but I just wanted to know what brands and what models are the best for what I do, I need really good mids mostly, and I need the sub to be able to deliver very fast kicking beats, not huge wavy sounds that fill the room, just a hard and fast kick. That's mostly why I'm asking this question.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 17
For a sub it's mostly about getting it tuned up and configured right and placed in an appropriate part of an appropriate room , combined with the right recordings and source, to get really killer bass.  I have an 8" yamaha sub and it has a crapton of bass output when you give it a really bassy track.  

These recommendations all look pretty good - home theaters in a box and little dinky satellite speakers are going to get demolished by a setup with individual, wood enclosed speakers and a dedicated 7.1 receiver.  Anything with a built in DVD player is generally bad news.  Going used is a good call at that budget, you will get a nice setup that way.

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 17
I was an Onkyo receiver fan, now I'm into Yamaha.
Yamahas come with Silent Cinema, which comes with surround sound for headphones, most other receivers only do stereo 2.0 channel for headphones.

The Yamaha RX-A700 and RX-V667 are the cheapest Yamaha receivers that comes with the better speaker amplifiers.
The RX-A700 has a 3 year warranty, the RX-A667 has a two year warranty.

Speakers to go with, not sure?

Check the website techbargins and bountii for good deals.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies!

I was looking into big wood structures and massive speakers, yes, not little stylish plastic enclosed pieces of dong, I even like the massive look of the wood enclosure ones too lol!
So, yeah. Can I buy speakers, receivers and subs all from different places and mix them together if the wattage and ampage fits?

I need a good build for about 500, so that Yamaha receiver is a little over-budget, since I don't think I'll be getting the rest of the system for 125$ lol.

Thanks again, any other suggestions or answers are welcome!

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies!
I was looking into big wood structures and massive speakers, yes, not little stylish plastic enclosed pieces of dong, I even like the massive look of the wood enclosure ones too lol!
So, yeah. Can I buy speakers, receivers and subs all from different places and mix them together if the wattage and ampage fits?
I need a good build for about 500, so that Yamaha receiver is a little over-budget, since I don't think I'll be getting the rest of the system for 125$ lol.
Thanks again, any other suggestions or answers are welcome!

You can get the Yamaha RX-V667 (refurb) for $249.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #15 of 17
if you don't mind buying used Audiogon or Videogon might be worth looking - though not so good on budget systems. for example, someone's selling this speaker system + sub, but I think it's a way overpriced considering shipping and all.

then I bumped into this site, which seems some kind of search engine. there's a Canadian, and even a UK version. never used though

these deals look pretty good: MartinLogan MLT-1 5.1  or  JBL Studio 180 5.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back