Need help with choices
Jan 7, 2015 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Saeglopur

Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide between a few choices and even if anyone can recommend any.
The main choices are
Audeze lcd2
Sennheiser hd700
Beyerdynamic tesla t1

I'm looking for a nice clean clear sound. I don't dislike bass but I'd rather be able to hear the rest of the music without bass drowning it out. I listen to a very wide variety of music so nothing super specific to say there.
I'm upgrading from v moda m100
If there are any others I should check it let me know
I'm not an audiophile (yet) I just love headphones and music so I don't know anything about the differences between any of these.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 11
What kind of amp do you have? None of those are going to sound all too great without the right kind of power. Even the T1, despite how efficient it is. 

What is your budget? 

Amped right, any of those cans will blow your M100 out of the water, especially if you aren't into crazy bass.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 11
  What kind of amp do you have? None of those are going to sound all too great without the right kind of power. Even the T1, despite how efficient it is. 

What is your budget? 

Amped right, any of those cans will blow your M100 out of the water, especially if you aren't into crazy bass.

Thats the thing. M100 is as far as I've gotten. No amps or anything yet. But I looked into the Modi/Magni combo for a starter setup, I know they won't do great, I'm wanting to get the Woo audio WA7 eventually (although I haven't heard tubes let alone an amp aside from my reciever)
Budget is kind of tight since I'm buying a new computer for school. But I can do the headphones plus aomething in the $200 range for amps unless of course i went with the HD700 I'd have a couple hundred left over.
Any recommendations?

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 11
If you're going to spend a grand on headphones, you want to spend at least half as much on an amp. That's the general rule of thumb I've heard. The LCD-2 are gorgeous headphones (read: my absolute favorite headphones of all time), but they need good, clean power. The Modi/Magni is a great DAC/amp set for a budget, but isn't going to do the LCD-2, HD700, or T1 justice. My recommendation would be to spend your money 2/3 on headphones and 1/3 on an amp. While getting an amp is less exciting than a new pair of cans, it is very necessary for you to get the performance you want from your headphones. Schiit has some nice amps in that price range, and Woo Audio does too. I'm not the best person to suggest amps in that price range, but I know you are going to need one. 

By the way, I've heard all three of those headphones, and they are all fantastic, with emphasis on the LCD-2 and T1. Don't think I'm trying to dissuade you from them, I am just sayig that you need a good amp to get good sound out of them.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 11
  If you're going to spend a grand on headphones, you want to spend at least half as much on an amp. That's the general rule of thumb I've heard. The LCD-2 are gorgeous headphones (read: my absolute favorite headphones of all time), but they need good, clean power. The Modi/Magni is a great DAC/amp set for a budget, but isn't going to do the LCD-2, HD700, or T1 justice. My recommendation would be to spend your money 2/3 on headphones and 1/3 on an amp. While getting an amp is less exciting than a new pair of cans, it is very necessary for you to get the performance you want from your headphones. Schiit has some nice amps in that price range, and Woo Audio does too. I'm not the best person to suggest amps in that price range, but I know you are going to need one. 

By the way, I've heard all three of those headphones, and they are all fantastic, with emphasis on the LCD-2 and T1. Don't think I'm trying to dissuade you from them, I am just sayig that you need a good amp to get good sound out of them.

I don't plan on using the magni as an amp mainly, just temporarily until I get the budget for something better. But now it sounds like instead of new headphones I should snag a WA7 vs the LCDs and pick them up later? I could also try to save more for a better amp from somewhere, I'd need recommendations in the $300+ range or should I compromise and get cheaper headphones?

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 11
The WA7 is a fantastic amp and should fill all your amping needs for a good long time. If you want that amp, I think it is a solid choice. If I were you, I'd shop online for a used WA7 and a used LCD/T1/HD700/800, and see what you can find that'll fit your budget.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 11
  The WA7 is a fantastic amp and should fill all your amping needs for a good long time. If you want that amp, I think it is a solid choice. If I were you, I'd shop online for a used WA7 and a used LCD/T1/HD700/800, and see what you can find that'll fit your budget.

Awesome thanks, do you know of any decent non tube amps to look into?

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Here are a couple solid states at varying price ranges:
Schiit Mjolnir - $749
Schiit Asgard 2 - $249
Lehmann Rhinelander - $500
Violectric Lake People G103-P - $410

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Here are a couple solid states at varying price ranges:
Schiit Mjolnir - $749
Schiit Asgard 2 - $249
Lehmann Rhinelander - $500
Violectric Lake People G103-P - $410

Awesome thanks so much, hopefully I can find somewhere to try out some if these headphones and I'll research the amps a bit

Really appreciate your time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back