Need help with buying my first pair of decent headphones and amp/sound card.
Jul 11, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #61 of 66
  Do you know any amp that would be an upgrade from the fiio e10k, without being way too expensive. I'm thinking about getting a new amp soon, and using the fiio as dac.

If you don't need it to be portable, a Schiit Magni 2 (Uber) is a great value, since it's just $99 (or $149) and has enough power to drive nearly all headphones.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #62 of 66

If you don't need it to be portable, a Schiit Magni 2 (Uber) is a great value, since it's just $99 (or $149) and has enough power to drive nearly all headphones.

Thanks for the tip, i will look into that. And also, i want a pair of headphones that can handle punkrock/fast punkrock good, do you know any that might be interesting? :) I've heard that the grados's are good for rock, but i don't know about fast punkrock. And they don't seem to be that comfortable either.

Edit: When i say fast punkrock i mean stuff like old AFI, lagwagon, pennywise and so on.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #63 of 66
  Thanks for the tip, i will look into that. And also, i want a pair of headphones that can handle punkrock/fast punkrock good, do you know any that might be interesting? :) I've heard that the grados's are good for rock, but i don't know about fast punkrock. And they don't seem to be that comfortable either.

Edit: When i say fast punkrock i mean stuff like old AFI, lagwagon, pennywise and so on.

My STAX SR-30 sounds amazing with fast stuff like that, including crossover thrash and hardcore. It's hard to find, though, and very uncomfortable. There are other older electrostat systems available for a few hundred dollars or even under a hundred, if you look on the used market. Modern electrostats are more expensive. All of them generally have better speed than other headphone types due to how the technology works. Never heard any Grados. If you want a closed headphone too, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is my highest recommendation for that. Easily the best all-rounder, at least for me.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #64 of 66

My STAX SR-30 sounds amazing with fast stuff like that, including crossover thrash and hardcore. It's hard to find, though, and very uncomfortable. There are other older electrostat systems available for a few hundred dollars or even under a hundred, if you look on the used market. Modern electrostats are more expensive. All of them generally have better speed than other headphone types due to how the technology works. Never heard any Grados. If you want a closed headphone too, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is my highest recommendation for that. Easily the best all-rounder, at least for me.

The last thing i want is a pair of uncomfortable headphones. Neither do i want closed ones =/ But i will look into electrostats for sure, thanks again :)

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #65 of 66
  The last thing i want is a pair of uncomfortable headphones. Neither do i want closed ones =/ But i will look into electrostats for sure, thanks again :)

Yeah, most other electrostats are much larger than the one I have, so they should be comfortable. If you do decide to pursue them, come to me again for advice, since I know about deals and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back