Need help with buy of my 1st "quality headphones"
Jun 10, 2015 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RyanRazer

New Head-Fier
Hello!   (Please fell free to skip introduction, it's just to give an idea of what type of consumer I am, what are my needs). Also, forgive my English, not native speaker. 

I'm new to this forum and new to "audio world" as well. I do like listening to music for a long time, but till now, only as casual consumer with budget headphones (Philips shp1900 - 25$ cheap set...). I recently started working (as a student, part time job) for a guy that takes care of audio and light at small sized concerts. So i decided to get myself a pair of decent, affordable headphones. 

I listen to wide variety of music genres. I love music in general, I'm not focused on one type. I like electronic, jazz, blues, rock... I also play games (moderately). So open type headphones would probably be a better option (i think) for spatial awareness, plus, bigger sound stage sounds better in general, right? I don't care about sound leakage, as i'm alone in my room... 

But open headphone type is not my top priority. My top priority would be comfort of use and clear sound so i can really enjoy all kinds of types music (like late night in-bed listening orgasm). I'd like to hear every little detail in a song. That's something i've never experienced. Low budget headphones and cheap 2.1 PC speakers is not something i can really enjoy my music on...
I think i prefer flat heaphones (monitor ones) and not too colored ones like Beats By Dree or whatever... I'd like to listen to music as it was made in studio, accurate, not the way headphone makers want me to listen with 2 much tuned pair of headphones. 
Shocking-kind of base is not particularly important, but dull one is also not desirable. I'd still like some of base for electro part of music. Is this something i could adjust with system-wide equalizer or are base-weak headphones limited by their hardware from providing more base? Is size of driver (aka 40 vs 50mm driver) only aspect that determines how much base a set can deliver? Also, should i get myself a better sound card for my pc? I have a stock sound chip that comes with MoBo.
Portability (foldable ones) and detachable cables are a plus 2... 

Ok, TLDR; 

My budget is 100$ (euros actually). After many hours of net searching (man there are so many headphones) i've narrowed it down to these (listed in order):

1. Audio Technica M40X 95€ - They should be very precise, accurate and with good sound quality. I'd prefer 50X with a bit more bass (but still fairly flat headphones overall they say) but i'm on a budget :frowning2:

2. Brainwavz HM5 (supposedly a bit more bass-y than M40x, but still flat overall) 

3. Sony MDR 7506 90€

4. Sennheiser HD 518 95€ - i like the idea of being open type. 

5. Shure SRH440 101€ 

Everything i listed as a comment next to each product is what i've heard from reviewers. I'm totally new and knowledge-less, that is why i came here for help.

Every help would be appreciated. Also if you have any better option for headphones (i'm sure i saw only a percent of what is out there) please let me know.

Thanks again :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you read this?
The Wirecutter has very comprehensive reviews.
http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/headphones/

I had the Sennheiser HD 518 which sounded good. This was one of HeadRoom's [http://www.headphone.com/] top ten headphones in 2012 or 2013.

I have the Audio Technica M50x which I think sounds better than the HD 518. I think the M40x should sound similar to M50x.

I don't have the other headphones on your list.

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Thank you both.
I'm not really fond of buying used tech. I don't know why buy I've never bought anything 2nd hand. I guess I'm not a trusty person. I think I'm going for mx40s...

Thanks for the wirecutter site SomeWiseGuy. Informative stuff.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 8
UE6000 sounds much better than M40X

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 8
My budget is 100$ (euros actually). After many hours of net searching (man there are so many headphones) i've narrowed it down to these (listed in order):

3. Sony MDR 7506 90€

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't recommend 7506s at all. 7506s are totally wasting your money!
7506s needs massive EQ to make acceptable SQ.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 8
  I don't recommend 7506s at all. 7506s are totally wasting your money!
7506s needs massive EQ to make acceptable SQ.

Yep aftrr hearing this https://youtu.be/udLoAV7YmjA , if this is correct... Although m40xs sound pretty much the same as source. I thought they are flatter.. 

Well i think i came to a conclusion of picking up Ath m40x. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Just came by to say i went for m50x :) as of now, im very satisfied with my purchase. Sound is amazing, music just got another perspective (reminder: laik speaking).

Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back