Need help with broken ATH-AD 900s. (pictures inside)
Mar 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lukan

New Head-Fier
Well, I blew it. I just broke my headphones. Well, sort of. As far as I can tell, the sound is completely unaffected; they sound just as great as always. However, they're still broken: http://imgur.com/a/QvaTC

I'm not really sure what to do in this situation, which is why I came here. Any help with fixing this would be great. Although, I was also wondering if this would still have any value. Perhaps to someone that would be better qualified to fix this sort of thing. Do you guys think that I'd be able to sell this? I'd probably prefer to do that if possible, because I've got pretty bad anxiety, and I just know that even if I did fix it, I'd be worrying about it while listening to music. Maybe I could fix it then sell it?

I don't really know, so, like I said, any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, also, my bad if this is the wrong board for this. I wasn't sure, so I did a search for "broken," and it seems like this is the place to post about broken headphones.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

Have you emailed audiotechnica yet? You may be able to get them repaired (or frame replaced).

Easiest thing is to just glue them together. Ghetto. But works.
Otherwise, get the frame and simply transplant the drivers and guts over. Then it's good as new.

Very best,

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 6
That's a very hard if not impossible fix, i could see any glue/epoxy being used just breaking within a few weeks .I suggest going to  AT customer support for whatever help you can get. other than that there's plenty of people on ebay willing to buy broken headphones so they can cannibalize them for parts, mainly headbands and drivers.  I'd say you'd get a good 25-50 dollars for those depending on the bidders.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Wow. I can't believe that I didn't think of that. Yeah, if nothing else worked out, I would glue 'em, but I sort of didn't want to mess with them in case I did go the selling route. Anyway, I can just get a frame? Assuming Audiotechnica didn't want to just give me one, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops, meant to quote MalVeauX, but the reply works for both of you. I will add that, for only 25-50, I'd just glue 'em and give them to my friend. Better use, I think.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Wow. I can't believe that I didn't think of that. Yeah, if nothing else worked out, I would glue 'em, but I sort of didn't want to mess with them in case I did go the selling route. Anyway, I can just get a frame? Assuming Audiotechnica didn't want to just give me one, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops, meant to quote MalVeauX, but the reply works for both of you. I will add that, for only 25-50, I'd just glue 'em and give them to my friend. Better use, I think.

I just went to AudioTechnica's website. Clicked Support. Clicked Service Center. Found a very bold and easy to see link that says "Part ordering."

Here.

Very best,

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

I just went to AudioTechnica's website. Clicked Support. Clicked Service Center. Found a very bold and easy to see link that says "Part ordering."

Here.

Very best,

Hah, I actually just found that myself. I figure I'll call their line first to ask how much it'd cost for them to put the new frame on for me, since I've never worked on headphones before, and I'd be pretty scared about that sort of thing.

Thanks again. It's embarrasing, but I don't think I would have thought of contacting AT. Don't know why, but it was just completely out of my mind. So this helps a lot.

EDIT: anyway, I think I got what I was looking for, so I'm gonna go to sleep now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back