Need help with an integrated recommendation
May 3, 2006 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I hope this forum is right.

Anyway, I am looking for a new integrated amplifier. I am replacing an older Marantz 2230 with some issues but that sounds good, so I do want something that is a move upwards in performance. I have read many reviews and am thinking about the NAD 320 BEE or the the Cambridge 640a - although used rotel, arcam, outlaw audio ect.. are not out of the question either.

My budget would be around $500 (used is great); phono stage is good, but not mandatory; and as I said I want it to be a step up from the Marantz. Is this possible? And if so, which one (or other) do you recommend? Also, vintage is OK as well.

In other words, I trust the opinions on Head-Fi more than other online sources and am asking what you recommend I get.

Thanks.
icon10.gif

May 3, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 20
I think the Marantz PM7200 is a great choice in that range. It retails for $550 brand new, includes a phono stage (which I haven't used, so I don't know about its sound), and puts out 25 w/ch in Class A mode (yes, it's a class A amplifier!) and 85 w/ch in AB mode. If you have a chance to listen to one definitely try it out.

May 3, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy
I hope this forum is right.

Anyway, I am looking for a new integrated amplifier. I am replacing an older Marantz 2230 with some issues but that sounds good, so I do want something that is a move upwards in performance. I have read many reviews and am thinking about the NAD 320 BEE or the the Cambridge 640a - although used rotel, arcam, outlaw audio ect.. are not out of the question either.

My budget would be around $500 (used is great); phono stage is good, but not mandatory; and as I said I want it to be a step up from the Marantz. Is this possible? And if so, which one (or other) do you recommend? Also, vintage is OK as well.

In other words, I trust the opinions on Head-Fi more than other online sources and am asking what you recommend I get.

Thanks.
icon10.gif

Have you considered getting your old Marantz serviced. I am sure if you had the tired old caps replaced it would be the equal or superior of any of these amps mentioned and offer a far superior phono stage into the bargain.

Another option if you like the Marantz sound is the late 80's PM-94 or PM-84. These maybe poo-poo'ed by Marantz purists but they are something of a cult in their own right if you can find one. I have a PM-94 and have had a PM-84 and they are really top-flight amps perhaps some of the finest integrateds to come out of Japan. They leave anything you will find today at under 1000USD for dust.

May 3, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 20
I second the PM7200 and I absolutelly love it, details are amazing, also the heapdhone jack is not that bad neither, and it is a very quiet amp...

May 3, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 20
Keep an eye out for a Rega Mira 3 used on audiogon. I've seen them as low as $475 and usually around $550. It is an excellent integrated at that price. Retail is $995. It has a phono stage built in and is a quality piece of gear.

May 3, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 20
I'l throw my two cents in for the Musical Fidelity A3/A3.2. I would imagine you could pick up an A3 for around $500 - $600 on Audiogon. Clean, detailed sound, plenty of power, excellent phono stage.

May 3, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 20
I have an NAD and like it fine.

But if that were my budget, I'd look hard at one of the Jolida hybrids. I haven't heard them, but I have heard the all tube Jolida's and they sound excellent.

Here's one new, a little over 500 bucks with a remote:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1151002857

(i have no idea who that guy is, but just demonstrating what they go for)

May 3, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
I have an NAD and like it fine.

But if that were my budget, I'd look hard at one of the Jolida hybrids. I haven't heard them, but I have heard the all tube Jolida's and they sound excellent.

Here's one new, a little over 500 bucks with a remote:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1151002857

(i have no idea who that guy is, but just demonstrating what they go for)

That's another good suggestion. The Jolida tube units are also excellent for their price, albeit different sounding from the Marantz. I used to have a Jolida JD102B, it was a great little amp.

What kind of speakers are you using? It would help to know some power requirements.

May 3, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 20
Does it have to be an integrated amp? If separates are OK, consider an Adcom GFA-535II amp and GFP-565 preamp. I have had both of these and currently use the 565 pre for its phono stage.

The amp is very nice sounding and a real powerhouse. I actually A/B compared it to an NAD receiver I have and it was no contest. (but if you want a receiver, an NAD is not a bad choice). The Adcom is rated at 60watts but I used it to drive some demanding speakers. You can usually find one on Audiogon in the $200-$250 range, mint.

The preamp is the real sleeper here. Expect to pay around $300, this was a $900 preamp new and was highly rated. It has a headphone jack which is only average, but has a killer (MM) phono stage. These components are built like tanks and will hold there value very well.

How about some tubes? If you definitely want integrated and are interested in tubes, a Cayin TA-30 would be awesome. This is the same as the current PrimaLuna and Prologue amps that have been the rage lately. Before being sold through major distibutors Upscale Audio and Acoustic Sounds, they were imported by Paul Grzybek of Bizzy Bee Audio, a tube gear repair guy here in Illinois, under the Cayin name. Once the potential of this amp was realized, the big guns came in and took over. Some of these amps have "Bizzy Bee mods." These are desireable so don't shy away from an amp with these mods. I owned one of these for about a year and always thought it sounded great. It does a superb job driving AKG K1000's too. I would still have mine except if I hadn't gone to a SET amp.

Both of the above would keep you in budget. No matter what you get, I would recommend used. Your just going to get a lot more for your money.

May 3, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 20
I'm in a similar situation, and I think I've actually decided on the Pioneer Elite A-35R. It seems a little strange, but due to the low price and high praise from the few who own one, it actually seems to be a decent choice. Wodgy and a couple of others from around here think it vastly superior to the NAD C320BEE. I would suggest googling around for it a little bit - it's tough to find user reviews, but everyone I have found who owns one or has auditioned one says that it's great.

May 3, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Keep an eye out for a Rega Mira 3 used on audiogon. I've seen them as low as $475 and usually around $550. It is an excellent integrated at that price. Retail is $995. It has a phono stage built in and is a quality piece of gear.

I would second this recommendation, especially since I see that Tyrion is now a moderator.
rolleyes.gif

I loved the sound of my Jolida as well, but it was a bit picky (and somewhat hungry) when it came to fuses and tubes.

May 3, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
How about some tubes? If you definitely want integrated and are interested in tubes, a Cayin TA-30 would be awesome. This is the same as the current PrimaLuna and Prologue amps that have been the rage lately. Before being sold through major distibutors Upscale Audio and Acoustic Sounds, they were imported by Paul Grzybek of Bizzy Bee Audio, a tube gear repair guy here in Illinois, under the Cayin name. Once the potential of this amp was realized, the big guns came in and took over. Some of these amps have "Bizzy Bee mods." These are desireable so don't shy away from an amp with these mods. I owned one of these for about a year and always thought it sounded great. It does a superb job driving AKG K1000's too. I would still have mine except if I hadn't gone to a SET amp.

The TA-30 is an excellent choice. You need to make sure this amp has room to breath as the EL34 tubes get very hot. The amp is similar to the Sophia Electric EL34 I owned and got very hot. There is one with the Bizzy Bee mods selling for $675 on audiogon and there is a sale pending on a non modded TA-30 for $475.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back