Need help with amp for my hd 650 and Grado sr325is
Sep 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pdameno66

New Head-Fier
Please help me to decide (thinking of selling my musical fidelity M1 HPA).
At the moment I am not happy with sound quality of hd650 if paired with Musical Fidelity M1 and at the same time i am quite happy with M1 if matched with grado sr325is
So am I going to sell the amp and buy Shiit Valhalla to pair with Sennheiser or sell the hd650 to buy hd800 That seems to pair well with Musical Fidelity M1?
Price is really not a big issue.
Do you think That hd650 with Shiit Valhalla will be better Than hd800 with Musical fidelity M1 HPA?
Any other suggestion is welcomed.
:rolleyes:

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 3
To me it sounds like you just do not prefer or fully understand the sound signature of the HD650.  It is a headphone, while compared to other top-tier headphones, stands alone as an excellent sounding can.  I am guessing you have had the Grado longer and are accustomed to its bright sound signature.

How long have you had the HD650?

What exactly do you not like about it?

From the specs of the M1 HPA the unit looks like a great amp and adding something else that alters the sound of the HD650 is only coloring the sound and not letting the headphone sounds as they should.

Going along with your preference from a brighter sounding headphone I would suggest the AKG Q701 or AKG K702.  They are similar enough to the HD650 in that they are world class headphones, but the AKG line is brighter which may suit your needs quite nicely.  The HD800 is another option, but I hate for you to spend so much money only to find out that you do not like it either.

I vote keep the amp and buy a pair of AKG K701, Q701, and K712 Pro headphones and return the ones you do not like.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you NA Blur for your answer,
The fact is That I really like the Hd 650 (totally different cans from Grado's, more balanced and on the neutral side) but I find That with the Musical Fidelity the Sennh's are lacking in punch and detail. That's the reason why I am thinking about changing the amp. (The Grado's are ok even straight from the IPhone or Ipad). Maybe the hd800 are a better match with the Musical Fidelity (if someone has any experience with this setup I will be happy to hear opinions).
I really like the sound of the hd650 with FIIO E12 so I must presume that is just a wrong pairing with the Musical Fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back