Need help with a turntable recommendation.
Apr 19, 2006 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to get a new turntable. Right now I have a crappy $99 sony with regular rca outs that I have had for about 10 years, but after upgrading my other components it has become obviously inadequate. So, for a guy with a lot of old punk on vinyl (not necessarily the epitome of good recordings
icon10.gif
) what is a good turntable in about the $300 range. After reading many threads I am either thinking of one of the Pro-Ject debut III tables new or perhaps a something like an old thorens and new cartridge. So, which one would provide better sound and which direction allows for more future upgradeability? I am kind of leaning towards the vintage since I would be using it with the phono stage of old marantz 2230 receiver but just not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 2
An older deck like the Thorens TD145/147/150/160/166 will be a much better base upon which to upgrade as you can build a serious high-end set-up out of one of these by gradually upgrading everything save the bearing and motor which are the best parts of the deck. In stock form they are very good indeed and will take on a Rega P2 or Project, if properly set-up and in good condition.
Basically you need to ask yourself do I want a deck which works from the off and offers a major leap in sound quality over my present model. Or do I want to get into renovating and tweaking an older model. The latter can be time and money consuming but ultimately offer greater sonic rewards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back