Need help with a gaming headset
Mar 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DarkDreamT2

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I posted here around this time last year asking about midrange headphones without much actual purpose and even less money. Now I've returned with both a job and a mission: I need a solid gaming headset that I can use as regular headphones.

I've heard nothing but praise and recommendations for the Senn hd 598, but I was wondering if there were better options out there and what the pros and cons of them. I had heard the bass was a bit lacking in the 598, for example.

Thank you all for your help!

IMPORTANT EDIT- I totally neglected the fact that open headphones cause sound leakage. I'll be using these headphones at night with sleeping people nearby and in crowded areas like the subway, and I don't think I can have them be open. Do any closed headphones offer some of what I'm looking for?

I'm eventually get one of each type, I just need something great for now.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 13
I knew I forgot to mention something. I'm trying not to break 350, and I will need mic functionality Primarily for the ps4, but I'd also like it if the mic worked for Android as well.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Well...I think you'll need to swing by the video game subforum for mic options. If you were gaming on PC, I would just say grab a lapel mic or Antlion modmic, but I'm not sure if there's anything fancy that needs done to get your voice into a PS4, and cable management is easier if you're sitting at a desktop.

SQ-wise, the HD598 should be great, and its little brother--the HD558--sounds fairly similar. As long as the 598 doesn't float back up to ~$200, I think it's a fine choice. If you want more bass, this post should bump your thread to get some more suggestions. Getting more bass is pretty easy if you are okay with closed headphones, but open models tend to sound better and have better sound stage.

Take a look at the ATH-M50X and Crossfade M-100. Both of those models have stronger bass, but they are closed. One benefit of the M-100 is that it has extra cable options from V-Moda, including a boom mic cable.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Why do you recommend this?

I would also recommend it.
Why? Because it's awesome.

Well, to be more specific, it has one of, if not the best combination of construction quality, sound-staging (good for gaming), comfort, and overall audio quality you can get for the money.
Combine it with a cheap amp and a mod-mic and you're all set for 10-15 years (may need to replace earpads at some point though, eventually :wink:

I use the vintage DT990 (600 ohm) for gaming. It's a little softer sound and a bit less resolving (the model is about 30 years old!) but it's still an incredible headphone.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 13
No, it's a product. 
It's the "Ant Lion ModMic."
It's a very high quality microphone you can attach magnetically via a small magnetic sticker you stick to the headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back